Is my child too small?

I have a child that just turned 2 in Feb. When he was born he was 6 weeks early but they told me by 2 years of age they usually catch up. Well my child only weighs 21lbs and still wears 12month clothes because they are the only things that fit him both length and waist wise. Ive tried to ask doctors and stuff and they never seem to give me an answer. am i just over reacting or should i be concerned?

marinewife1987

Asked by marinewife1987 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How tall?
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• is your child healthy, acts happy/healthy? or acts sickly/tired?

Is he is acting healthy and doctor is fine with his weight, then I'd just let it go and stop worrying.

if your child is lethargic/sickly, etc- then persue it and keep at the doctor until you get the answers you need
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My dd will be 2 in May. She's just hit 23 lbs and is still in 12 month clothing (some 9 month still!). The 12 month pants tend to be a bit big on her waist though. And 18 month shirts fit OK. Not sure how tall she is. I wouldn't be concerned about him. Usually if there is a reason to be concerned, your doc will let you know. And if he start small, he may always be a touch small (my dd was 6lbs 8 oz, but dropped to 5 lbs and had trouble gaining weight so we had to play catch up too)
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't worry as long as he's hitting all his milestones, eating & playing & all that fun stuff. My son was 24lbs at age 2, just turned 3 and is only 28. Tall and skinny like his Daddy. What's his growth curve look like, is he steadily growing even if it's a small amount? Not sure if you're having him seen on base or not, but maybe go to a civilian Dr. I really liked knowing that same Dr. saw my son every time (which rarely happens at the Naval)
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I saw that you're in Hubert, we lived off 172 for almost 5 years. Anyway, I LOVED Dr. Martin out in town. He's really personable, remembers the child's name and is down to earth. Check him out.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• my youngest was three weeks early and was 5 pounds 13 ounces and 17 1/2 inches tall. She turned 3 on March 6 and is now a whopping 26.6 pounds and 34 inches tall. She is following her own growth curve at a steady rate and we have seen three doctors (2 for second opinions) and they say she's just small but growing at a steady rate. Have you voiced your concerns with her doctor? Did they seem worried? If the doctor says all is fine and your child is active and hitting all their milestones I wouldn't worry. I'm fighting with our PCM cause I want her tested for the condition her brother has but aren't military doctors the best? Up until we PCSd we used civilian doctors.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I am taking him to the doctors soon. so i will find out if everything is ok. a main reason for worrying is because when he was born he was 4lbs 11 oz. so he was small but by 6 months he porked up BIG time. and then suddenly thinned out but didnt grow much taller. he is a VERY active child but doesnt eat too much. i feed him breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the same time and everytime he only take a couple bites and then wont eat anymore. he doesnt do it out of pickyness he just wont eat. but he does drink quite often. and no, military doctors suck because you never see the same one twice and they dont really get personal with you like civilian doctors do. they dont care about history or anything else. they just want you in and out as quickly as possible. and that my experience with 2 different military hospitals and 4 civilian doctors.
    marinewife1987

Answer by marinewife1987 at 12:09 AM on Mar. 19, 2009