• In the Spotlight:

My daughter is 18months...I think shes ready to start potty training. How do I get her started?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Get a potty. Introduce her to it but don't force her to go just yet. Maybe show her that her stuffed animal can use it, and eventually have her sit on it. And as time goes on the more aware of it she is the more she'll know to use it. My daughter is starting to use the potty herself. She started around the same age as your daughter and she's just now starting to go on her own alot more. She still has some accidents around the house, but sometimes we have to keep the bathroom locked cause she'll just go in there and play withe everything. but she's starting to use just the bathroom. So yeah hope I answered your question.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Start taking her to the potty every hour. Just sit her there for a couple of minutes and see if anything happens. If so, praise her and show her the pee or poop in the potty. Eventually she'll start to stay dry between trips to the potty (most of the time). At that point, you can switch her to panties and move to every 1.5 hours. If she keeps doing well, move her to every 2 hours but never go beyond 3 hours between visits.
    As she gets better at it, she'll realize that going to the bathroom means leaving her toys and stopping all the fun so she'll delay as long as she can or tell you "NO" if you ask. So don't ask and don't expect her to tell you. She may to start wtih but she won't for long. That's normal. Simply keep her on a schedule or take her if you notice she is "dancing".

And remember that night time has nothing to do with day time. Keep her in diapers at night until she wakes up dry 4 days out of 7.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My DD is 17 months and has been USING THE POTTY -not potty trained- since 11 months. You just sit them on it, sing, read, converse, etc. My DD almost always went with me to the BR as baby and followed me there when she learned to walk. I would tell her what I was doing: pee, poo, toilet paper, flush, wash hands. I also got her kid books on it. So she does what mommy and the books do. Make sure the seat is soft and comfy. Try to make note of her pee/poo times. I noticed my DD peed shortly after waking up every morning, so that's when I put her on the toilet. I make an effort to change her immediately when her diaper was wet. So now, she tells me right before or after she pees. That helps get her on the potty on time or keep her from walking in urine.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009