Purity in religion

What is up with the concept of being pure as a religious ideal or value? Why the separation between those who follow the rules and those who don't? Is is just another way to make it a us versus them? I don't see the point in refusing to indulge in chocolate, coffee, skin tight clothes, some good porn, a drink or two, some colorful sailor language, tattoos, showing some skin, showing lots of skin, going nude, sex, lot of sex, premarital sex, extra marital sex, sola sex, reading lots of books, enjoying fiction, and just having a great time living in this life. So what's the point to being pure? Why the self denial?

Open to any religion or non religion.

isabellalecour

Asked by isabellalecour at 3:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you study the rituals and daily practices of many of the other religions outside the Abrahamic, a lot of the things that are prohibited in the bible are things that were practiced by others. Homosexuality was a core pillar of upright Greek society - men had wives to breed with and other men to relate to and love. Polygamy was welcomed in many religions and cultures, as well as adultery or love festivals to different gods in different religions. The prohibitions against alcohol were actually adopted from Islam, who spread them to Europe when they controlled Spain and other areas around the Med, but it spread rapidly because rituals involving alcohol were rampant in non-Christian Norse and Germanic religions. That's why it's such a fine line between communion wine and drunken-ness - originally, Christians didn't care. Even Abrahamic burial traditions are as much a rebuke of Egyptian practices than anything else.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:29 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Some of those things you mentioned were harmless in my eye.

Others not so much. Mainly b/c doing them causes problems with family, kids, and causes other Christians to fall. For example: premarital sex, extra marital sex porn. All of those things can destroy a family and your life.

To each his own.
    Anonymous

• Anything in excess can destroy life, family and general well being. I don't blame those those elements that I listed. I blame those who go in excess for going in excess, not for participating in life.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My answer is coming more from a spiritist philosophy. I think all these things that you mentioned are seen as worldly or physical distractions, meaning things that keep us further away from God, a higher power, enlightenment, our true purpose ect... I think God gave us these things like sex, art, food and such to be enjoyed in life but in moderation, so that we don't allow them to overwhelm us and distract us from Him, however you want to see him. In many eastern philosophies, they believe that all desire is the cause of suffering. When you learn to be pure and rid yourself of your physical desires, that is when you become one with God. That's just one way to look at it.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 4:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• You're comparing chocolate and coffee to sex and porn?

You really need to decide why it is that you want to do those things. Will doing it benefit you in any way? The devil will always be there to make things appear fun and thriling...but many times those things will destroy relationships in the process.

I don't see how coffee and chocolate are anywhere near the same as the rest of that stuff. Premarital sex can cause disease and relationship problems with future people. Nudity will do the same. IDK, it really depends. Do you have a good relationship with God? Pray to Him about those things.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It is not about self denial, it is about knowing Christ as a personal Lord and Savior and realizing that you need Him in your life. Then it is about obedience. Here is my question, if a christian did everything that everyone else did, including drinking, porn ect, then where would the obedience be to God's law be? and yes, how would you be able to tell they were a follower of Christ?? I know who i am and apart from Christ, But I know who God sees when He looks at me. He sees me as forgiven, and loved, and righteous, and as His Child: a child of the King. I like who I am in Christ much better than without Him. Without Him I am nothing, and I am a sinner.
    ministrymom

Answer by ministrymom at 4:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Chocolate, coffee, sex and porn are all listed because a variety of religious beliefs list those things as things that those members need to stay away from, in an attempt to stay "pure." And again...anything in excess with cause problems. Too much coffee can cause high blood pressure and caffeine addiction which leads to withdrawal and often headaches. Too much chocolate can lead to obesity which includes a whole host of problems. I don't see these as any different than sex and porn.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 4:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• well, i guess that coffee and chocalate in moderation is ok though. That is what i feel when it comes to food. Moderation is key along with balance.
    ministrymom

Answer by ministrymom at 4:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• The way I see it, their God has a huge ego.......the person explaining that these things keep you from focusing on God said it best actually. Their God wants them to spend their whole life worshiping HIM and thanking HIM and blah blah blah.......heck, he even CREATED them (supposedly) so that he'd have someone to worship him! I've been told on here so many times that God does not have an ego....but, sorry, that is ego, pure and simple.

I don't think any of those things are bad.....I would not have extra-marital sex, but that is my lifestyle choice because I wouldn't like it. If a couple decided it was ok for them, doesn't bother me.

I know this will be seen as "hate" reply again..... oh well :) That's how I feel about it.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Metalcowgirl34 I don't see it as a hate reply. It's a reply from your point of view, which is what I asked for. People's points of view.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 5:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2009