Just wondering....

my son's top teeth are yellow.I brush them at least 2 times a day.What can I do to remove the plaque?The denist wont see him til' he is 3.Has this ever happened to anyone else's baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is your child? If older than one, then I would see another dentist.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Is it plaque, or is it fluoride toxicity (called Fluorosis)? High doses of Fluoride over long periods of time during development can cause yellow stains on the teeth, and could be confused as plaque.

http://images.google.com/images?q=Fluorosis&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS281US283&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

That link shows many pictures showing fluorsis, and the more extreme cases are obviously not plaque, but the beginning stages can be mistaken for plaque.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Click on the very first picture after following that link, and see if that looks like the stains on your childs teeth.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I would find a dentist that will see you! I have always been told that baby should see a dentist as soon as he/she has teeth and especially if you think that there is something wrong! Why else do they get paid?
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• You should find a pediatric dentist in your area to see your child.
    bearandtreemom

Answer by bearandtreemom at 4:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• The board of pediatric dentistry recommends seeing a child at 2 for his first visit. If there is a problem I would think they would want to see him now. My friends son is 2 and has already had 2 cleanings because he needed them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I LOOKED AT THE LINK, I CANT REALLY TELL IF HIS LOOKS LIKE THAT, BUT IT DID GET ME TO THINKING.CAN THEY CLEAN HIS TEETH TO GET IT OFF IF THAT IS THE PROBLEM?
    Anonymous

• Florosis is not treatable, no. It is permanent staining of his teeth, HOWEVER he is really young and will be losing those teeth and growing his adult ones, so if this is in fact the problem then you get a second shot.

Check out the fluoride levels in your tap water (the city should have it on public record) and if you are giving him Nursery Water (with added Fluoride) then stop.

Also, check in with WIC or your pediatricians office, they should know of dental clinics that are aimed toward small children starting at 6mo. Its ridiculous that your dentist wont see your child until the age of 3.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Our dentist saw our children as soon as they were able to sit up. He would talk to them, play with them and put his finger in their mouth and feel their gums. By the time they got teeth, they were very comfortable with him.

If you are concerned about his teeth or their development and your dentist won't see him, find another dentist who will.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 6:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2009