Did you let them say bad words???

When they were little... I didnt, but im sister does and now she is seeing what red face wal-mart adventures look like...

I just dont think its right...

HottMamaRossx2

Asked by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• mama bailey cusses like a sailor lol just jokin my teens try to pull that with me now and they find themselves sitting at home with mom on the weekends
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• No and won't allow them to cuss when they are older and still living under my roof. It's in very poor taste to let your children curse.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• good grief, only if you want your kids to be a trouble maker in school and always be in trouble. Not right. It only hurts the kids. Horrible
    Anonymous

• No, I don't, but I don't punish for it either, My DD is 4 and has no idea why one word is ok and another is not, so when she hears her daddy say "F&*K" and she repeats it, I tell her its a word we don't like to use, but again, she doesn't get in trouble. I think the bigger deal you make out of it the more they say it anyway. Now, she comes up to me and says, "Mommy, "stupid" and "f&*k" are bad words and we shouldn't say them." And I say, "that's right, Sweetie" and we go about our business =) cracks me up.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Not a chance! When I was little, I was allowed to ask my mother if it was a bad word but if she said yes, I wasn't allowed to repeat it. When I was 5, another child's parent said the "MF" phrase. I repeated it to my mother and asked if it was a bad thing to say. She said yes and I never said it again. I think if they are honestly questioning whether it's bad, that's okay but only once. My son will not be allowed to use that language in my home or in my presence.

DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Mine were never allowed to say bad word around me.All the way until they got grown.

Answer by louise2 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My Hubby is from England and the F word is just part of normal conversation and our kids don't repeat after him because we have told them that they aren't allowed to use that word until they are old enough to move out and pay their own bills.... But we also don't make a huge issue out of it, I think as with anything if you make light of it and forbid them to do or say things that they will want to do it or say it that much more....
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 4:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• NO ONE is allowed to curse around me. Especially my children! I had a bit of a rough life and even the utterance of a single curse word will set me off. My children are not yet old enough to speak but i did raise my sister until the age of 5 and she learned pretty quickly not to talk like that around me. Hubby wont curse around me (because he loves me, not because i'd be mean to him >__> ) and im trying to get my father to stop.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 4:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• When my child says a bad word I tell him that it is a grown up word and when he is eighteen he can say it to. That has actually worked. he is 4.5 now.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I certainly don't. We make a point not to cuss so that my 17 month old doesn't hear and repeat it. I have cousins the same age as my baby and many family members find it hilarious to hear them say "shut up bitch!" and other things. It's awful.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 5:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2009