Algebra help?

If there is anyone out there who could help me understand a few questions I have on a sample test, that includes answers with them, HOW the answer was a achieved? I don't remember how to do any of it, but if someone can walk me through these problems so I can see for myself the answers matching up, I'd appreciate it.
My husband was sent this test for a position he is considered for and they recommended brushing up on algebra, which is why the test was sent, but we both have been out of school for a bit.

ItalianMomma04

Asked by ItalianMomma04 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you can wait on my dh to get home. He almost has his Doctorate in math.

I myself am a math moroon. lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• post the questions
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 4:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I loved algebra in high school, I could give it a shot if you want.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Can you post them here?
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• LOL thanks you guys!!
    I will post one question with the answer at a time: The answer is D, but how was that solved?

2. The sum of both digits, of either of two two-digit numbers, in whatever order the digits are written, is 9. The square of either of the digits of either number, minus the product of both digits, plus the square of the other digit is the number 21. The numbers are _______?
    a. 36,63 b. 81, 18 c. 27, 72 d. 45, 54 e. none

ItalianMomma04

Answer by ItalianMomma04 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• ok so if you look at answer D. the numbers are 45 and 54...lets just look at 45....4+5=9. which satisfys the 1st part. the second part is The square of either of the digits of either number, minus the product of both digits, plus the square of the other digit is the number 21
    so, 4 squared is 16 and 4X5=20 and 5squared =25, so 16-20+25=21 which satisfys the second part. and this will also work fi you do it with the number 54 too. Does this make sense?
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 4:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Ok, so reading through that it makes sense. So the product of something is multiplication then. Now, would you be able to explain it to me, like without using the answer first? Or in order to solve it, (without knowing the answer first) would I need to go through all the answers and try them in the problem, and eventually it will lead me to the right one?
    ItalianMomma04

Answer by ItalianMomma04 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Ok, I went through and did what you said with all the answers and ruled out the wrong ones. Thanks!!

Ready for the next one? Do you guys want me to post the answer or wait until you have figured it out? lol

3. If a boat goes downstream 72 miles in 3 hours and upstream 60 miles in 6 hours, the rate of the river and the rate of the boat in still water respectively are ________?
    a. 7 &16 mph b. 7&17 c. 6 &17 mph d. 6 &18 e. none
    ItalianMomma04

Answer by ItalianMomma04 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• yes, you would have to go through each asnwer and work each one. so for example if you chose A. , 3+6=9 and 6+3=9, so that satisfys the first part, and 3 squared is 9 6X3=18 and 6 squared =36, so 9-18+36=27 which DOES NOT satisfy the second part. so you just have to go through each answer till you find the right one...and the product of something does mean multiplication
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 4:29 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Ok that was easy!! I just explained it to my husband. neither of us knew product meant multiplication LOL, to that helps alot. you kinda make me say "Duh!" after I understand it LOL.
    ItalianMomma04

Answer by ItalianMomma04 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2009