Does anyone know If you need to have a passport?

To go out of the united states?

ytapia

Asked by ytapia at 4:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Travel

• Yes you do, to go into any country other than ours.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Yes, even if you are going to Mexico, you are required to have one.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• yep you will need one.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Yes you do.

Answer by louise2 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Oh i was just wondering cause before it wasnt need But Then I remember them saying you would soon But its been a while? What about kids?
    ytapia

Answer by ytapia at 4:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• If traveling by land or sea to Mexico or Canada, you will at a minimum need the passport card-- which is similar to a driver's license but is issued by the State Department and identifies your citizenship. If you are traveling by air to any country, you will need the traditional passport.

I just got mine-- it took 2 weeks for processing, and the passport card was only $25 extra, so I got one, too. It's convenient to just take in my wallet. You can get your passport at your local post office, but call first to double check. Not all post offices have the ability to process, and sometimes they require you to make an appointment.

They also do not accept certain forms of payment, such as a credit card for the first time passport, so make sure you find out what payments they will accept before going. I don't know why-- I just learned the hard way!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 4:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Here's a good link.

stanmom

Answer by stanmom at 4:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• yes you need one to get to Canada and Mexico now too.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:11 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• yep... canada, mexico, the caribbean... you need one.. and if you dont, well its a total hassle.. one of my friends' kids lost his passport, and the whole family had to wait for two days for them to get paperwork to cross back into the USA....
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2009