Religion and it's roll

Does your religion, beliefs or lack of, dictate or tell you who/whom or what type of people you are allowed to associate with? and if so Why?

And if you don't know a person's religion and then find out, does that make a difference in how you associate with them again?

I am very curious bc I have read that some religions prevent them or tell them they can not associate with certain types of people including friends and family members(who are not the same as them) and in some cases other types of religion. I am very curious what all of you think of that...or if any have heard of something similar...
And would that not include here on Cafemom too?

I am not pointing at any ONE religion or non, I have read a few things on line and also someone mentioned to me once that they can't keep in contact with a family member bc of their (the family members) religious beliefs...

Open to all...

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 4:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, it doesnt dictate that.

I base my friendships on who the person is not their religious beliefs.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 4:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I am a Christian and we are taught to be as Jesus would be to everyone.
    Jesus was kind to everyone even the prostitutes. As Christians we are called to do the same.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My beliefs (or lack of), keeps me from getting involved with the very religious preachy stepford types. I'm more afraid of them than terrorists.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the person above. We are to be as Christ, and He loved everyone. He helped everyone who needed help, and ministered to whomever needed it. Jesus is no respector of person: meaning, he doesnt love one more than another, and He came and lived and died and rose again for ALL!!!!
    ministrymom

Answer by ministrymom at 4:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree with mom2twobabes and ministrymom!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• From what I understand, most religions teach tolerance and love toward everyone, regardless of their differences. It's just that people don't carry that out. I myself, have had Christian friends completely cut off friendship with me because they tried to convert me and I didn't want to, and I wasn't disrespectful about it or anything. I told them I respected their beliefs but just didn't agree.
    A lot people simply aren't capable of getting along with others who think differently than them. And some of them even believe that if you don't follow the same religion that you are the devil and will bring them down with you. It's quite sad, really.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 4:23 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I am Christian (LDS denomination) and no to both of those questions. Personally I do try to associate more with those who support me than who try to get me to do things that I do not believe in. For example I do not and will not drink. When I go out with friends I have some friends who support that 100% and respect that decision. Others will push and push trying to get me to drink. Obviously the friends who push do not respect my decision. Those type of friends I tend to avoid, because they are not looking out for me.

I have had people who do treat me differently after they find out where I go to church because their church teaches them that we are bad. All you can do in situations like that is to be an example and show them they are wrong. :)

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• No it doesn't. My beliefs or lack of state that I should treat everyone equally. Man=person Woman=person Like bonesdragondew I base my friendships on the person. i trust my instincts. If i am not comfortable around someone I don't stay around them.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:29 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I believe Jehovah Witnesses are taught not to associate with friends or family members that do not belong to the kingdom hall. Is that what you are referring to?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree with Bonesdragondew and 2austisticsmom a person is a person and I base my friendship on them not their religions or lack of...

Ok then does anyone or has anyone heard of any such religious orginzations that have similar rules as I stated in my OP???  Or is it just the person that chose not to associate with others bc of what "They" believe?

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2009