Does Awana teach against homosexuality?

My son was invited to attend an Awana meeting, which is apparently a religious group for children. Does Awana teach anything against homosexuality?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, its a wonderful Christian organization.
    Anonymous

• I doubt that they openly discuss homosexuality with kids that young. However, Awana is based on Biblical teachings and the Bible "teaches against homosexuality," as you put it.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Hope your son isn't gay then.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 5:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Jenettyshome....what if he is gay?
    Anonymous

• Being gay is natural. It is not something he can "choose". And if he IS gay, you're going to create one self-hating individual.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 5:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• to learn more about awana including what they believe the website is - awana.org

probably where you'll get the best information on what they teach and believe and general information about them.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• So if he is gay and I send him to Awana he's going to be self hating? Does Awana really make children feel that way about homosexuality?
    Anonymous

• I don't know anything about Awana. I'm just responding to the posts on that they talk against homosexuality. But yes, just consider what would happen to his psyche if he's made to believe that his "natural feelings" are wrong and sinful (if he's gay). Even if he isn't gay and he's just a normal kid, well, I don't think I would want my children exposed to a group that teaches intolerance.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 6:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I don't want him exposed to intolerance either, which is why I am asking. By the way, he is not gay, we are very pro gay, that is why I'm asking.
    Anonymous

• I understand. :) I just snooped at their website and I don't know if it would be something I would get my kids into.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 6:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2009