How long should a fever last with a virus? My dd cant get rid of a high fever.

She is 3.5. And Friday afternoon she started running a fever. I took her to the Dr. Sunday. He said she had a virus and just to treat the symptoms with Ibuprofen and Tylenol.

She is STILL running a fever of 102.4. This is the 6th day!!!!

Whats going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Thats too many days. Even if she did have a virus infection, she may now have a bacterial one from that and may need antibiotics.Take her back in ASAP.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree, that's too long. A fever over 102.5 for 3 days should be seen.
    Yes, she may very well have had a plain of viral infection (a cold) on Sunday.
    But she may now be fighting a secondary infection - something that she picked up when her immune system was already weakened from fighting off the cold.
    Take her back ASAP.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• A fever is the body's natural way of fighting off a virus. A virus normally is not to last more than 7 days. If it does it ussually means the virus has turned into an infection that may need to be treated with an antibiotic. So a fever is a good thing.But it is worrysome if the fever lasts or symptoms persist for more than 7 days..
    ajijrose

Answer by ajijrose at 9:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I would say high fever past 4 days is too long. I would have her looked at again to be sure. Low grade fevers under 101 might last for awhile.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:14 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Have her checked again, something is causing the fever. My daughter had a fever for 4 days and it ended up being an ear infection.
    lilmom0417

Answer by lilmom0417 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 19, 2009