Gates: Goal is to end forced Army service by 2011

Is this realistic? Do you believe it is an abuse of the "all volunteer" military to practice stop loss?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090318/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/army_tours

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "I believe that when somebody's end date of service comes, to hold them against their will, if you will, is just not the right thing to do"

I agree with this.

heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I think it will just shift from the Army doing it to the Marines having to take up the slack. Is it abuse, perhaps, but what else can be done? I have family members who had to stay beyond their enlistment dates but they weren't upset about it as much as their families were.

ashandamymom

Answer by ashandamymom at 5:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• they know it is a possibility in going in.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It's supposed to be all volunteer, would YOU want to rely on the person who DIDNT want to be there with your LIFE? No way
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• After 9/11there was a massive stop-loss, although inconvenient--it makes sense. They want people who already know how to do their jobs to stay put in case they're needed. Sometimes they effect everyone other times not. I'd much rather have my husband stuck in a stop-loss then be recalled. It's great that they want to phase it out, but they're reserving the right to use it if they see fit. 1% isn't that many guys & it's not like they're stop-lossed for years and years. You sign up: you can go to war, you can be stop-lossed, you can be recalled. Don't sign if you're not prepared. Marines are also issued stop-losses, but it's a small amount. They just suck it up for the short time their skills are required past contract. Semper Fi.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Exactly sweet a kins. Sure, my husband knew it was a possibility but he's been stop lossed 4 times. They don't just use it, they abuse it and it hurts morale.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 5:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• JackalsWife, sorry to hear about the abuse of stop-loss. I've never heard of someone (or unit) having it happen so many times. That is uncalled for. I don't agree with the overuse of it, but I can see why they need & have to use it sometimes. Hope he gets out soon.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree with this as well. If the troops choose to stay then that's their choice but they shouldn't be forced to stay. that is a contradiction to the all volunteer army. Once you are forced to do something it stop being volunteer. If they want to encourage the soldiers to stay on by offering money or something else then that will be their choice. but it has to be the soldiers choice.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 5:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

Well, he was going to get out but has been in just over 10 now and while he's not stop lossed currently there's no point in getting out..might as well do his 20. His career field is notorious for screwing people with stop loss.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 5:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I believe when your time is done you should not be able to be forced to stay if you don't want.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2009