Do you think their is any pet that would be good with a two year old?

We are wanting to get our ds a pet for Easter, but not sure which direction to go. (puppies and dogs are a no go because our landlord wont allow it.) Anything else would be fine probably. What do you think about a Guinea Pig?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pets

• I got my 2 year old dd a guniea pig and she loves it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would reccommend them to anyone with small children
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 11:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• They live really long...if your child gets bored with the guniea pig, guess who's stuck with it? Both of mine lived 7 years!

Get a fish!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• LOL i was thinking a fish too!

i LOVE cats are they a no go too?
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 4:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I think fish would be the best bet. They're easy to take care of and fun for kids to watch. That and goldfish are fairly cheap and can easily be replaced if it should die.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Fish for sure. My son loves his fish, and has had a fish for a long time. We have a dog too, but he really enjoys his fish and will always have one.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• When my son turned 2, we got him a bunny.  The bunny LOVED my son, and they are easy to take care of.  If they are taken out of their cages often, then they become very sweet animals.  My son still loves his bunny (he's 3 1/2 now). 
    If you are looking for a pet that isn't so high-maintenance then I would go with fish (as mentioned above).  They are easy to take care of, and kids really enjoy watching them swim!  You could always take your child to the pet store and let your child pick out the fish to go into the tank. 
    Have fun with whatever you deside to go with!

bookay

Answer by bookay at 7:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• just remember at his age whose pet it really will be as far as care. Whatever pet you pick, please research what animal you will get. A Beta fish would be nice, but they aren't very exciting. Goldfish are very dirty fish. Reptiles carry salmonella. Be informed. Something easy that YOU want to take care of for him.
    blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• We have two guinea pigs- they are great pets, but a lot of work. Be sure that YOU want a guinea pig before buying one (or two, they do better in pairs/groups!) My two year old loves the piggies, but needs very close supervision with them so she doesn't hurt them. She does not understand that Linney is a living thing and not a toy. Even my four year old needs supervision (my ds is almost seven and can safely handle the piggies- he is very gentle with them.) Even so it's me who does the work- cleaning the cage at least once a week (usually more, I clean the 'litter corner' daily), providing floor time, fresh veggies, and daily snuggling if the kids don't get around to it. I totally love my guinea pigs but they are MY pets as much as the kids, which is what makes it work. Be sure you know what is involved before buying one because it's always mom who does the bulk of the work!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• a bird cause after a about a year of getting used to him and him getting used to it he'll be able to hold it on his finger and his shoulder and he can watch it fly or ride the ceiling fan.
    Anonymous

• birds you have to follow around with papertowels and cleaner to keep up after the poop!

"Fitchies" are best! (Fish... lol)

easy to keep, easy to replace, and since he's so young, if you got say, a blue betta, and it died, you could always replace it with another blue betta and he'd never know! ; )

good luck with whatever you choose!!!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2009