How can I get my 3 year old to poo in the toilet?

I have taught my son to pee in the toilet, but he is having a lot of trouble going poo in the toilet and he has no problem going poo in his underwear. my husband tells me to go get pull ups but I feel if i go get pull up he will get confused and start peeing in the pull up again and then I will be at ground zero agian. How can I get him to do the whole deed at once in the toilet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had the same issue with DD. She would pee no problem but refused to poop, I still don't know exactly why, I think she was afraid....I did what the ped recommended and got 10 toys from the $1 store and wrapped them up and put them on the fridge to entice her, 1 present for every poop. She wanted them, but not bad enough to poop in the toilet... One day I caught her pooping in her underwear and she had just started, so I grabbed her as fast as I could and ran her to the potty and basically emptied her underwear into the toilet while she was still wearing them but I acted like SHE pooped in toilet and I made a big happy stink (no pun intended) and we celebrated and she got to see her poop in the toilet and flush and I gave her a present. That's all it took. I don't know why.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:49 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• don't push it..in time he will do it on his own, trust me, my son didn't poo on the potty til he was 4 and he does quite well now, lol
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I had the same problem with my 3 year old daughter. I give her M&M's for pooping in the potty, she gets 2. Holding it in made her constipated so it hurt to go. I don't know if that's a problem with you. My doctor said dried fruit was good to keep from getting constipated. But you have to put the dry fruit in some water and cook it for about 20 - 30 minutes or you can let raisins soak in water overnight. I put it in the blender afterwards and then I put it in her hot cereal in the mornings, she doesn't even notice it.
    luvmybabe256

Answer by luvmybabe256 at 8:08 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• You are absolutely correct about the Pull-ups! It will confuse him and set him back with his toileting! I have seen this many times with children I work wiith. Check to see if he is sitting comfortably on the toilet when he has to have a BM. If his feet are dangling or he has to hold himself up with his arms so as not to fall in the toilet this may make it hard to bare down and push out the BM. He may need a stool under his feet and a small seat to put on top of the regualr seat. Give him a favorite book to look at while he sits and maybe that will keep him there long enough
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2009