Is my two year old ready for pull-ups?

My son has shown intrest in the potty and even gotten up there and went several times, whiped and then flushes the toilet. This is my first child so I could use some advice on this. How often do I ask him if he needs to go potty and do I need to go ahead and put pull ups on him instead of a diaper of wait untill hes telling me he needs to go potty?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Pull-ups are just expensive fancy diapers. I left all 3 of my kids in regular diapers because they're cheaper and you get more in a package. They all potty trained successfully and my youngest is potty trained right now at 2 1/2...almost 3.

Put him on the potty and once he gets the hang of it and starts using it, put him in underwear for the days. Put diapers on through naptime if his bladder isn't strong enough to hold it that long. Once he's in the underwear, he'll start being able to tell when he eneds to go...before wetting himself. Of course he'll have accidents, every kid does. Pull-ups just confuse kids in my experience.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I believe pullups are best for naptimes/bedtimes and when your out and about. At home put him in a underwear. Reward him for going potty (yes kinda like a dog lol)
    GOOD CHILDREN BOOK for you to read to your son-No more diapers for duckie
    lesliegail22

Answer by lesliegail22 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Your child answered your question for you, yes he is ready, actually he is beyond ready so what ae you waiting for.....
    Shalaseia

Answer by Shalaseia at 5:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Ok so about my question, how often do I ask him if he needs to go potty untill he gets to were hes telling me on his own?
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 5:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Every 40 minutes depending on if he's drinking much. Have him at least try...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My daughter is 2 and we have recently started potty training. What has worked the best for me was I took her to the store and let her pick out big girl panties. I then explained to her that we can't potty in our big girl panties and she has only had two accidents since. We still put a a diaper on her overnight. I usually remind her every 10 to 15 minutes that she needs to try and sit on the potty. And about the last week when she wakes up in the morning she tells me she needs to go sit on the potty and then asks to wear her big girl panties. The only downside to using panties instead of pull ups is the laundry pile rises faster but you save the cash on pull ups which can get very expensive. I hope this helps you out.
    mommymandaleigh

Answer by mommymandaleigh at 5:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Don't ask him at all. And don't expect him to honestly answer you if you do forget and ask. He will quickly learn that saying "Yes" means no more play and leaving his toys. So he will quickly learn to say "NO" even while dancing from foot to foot and holding himself.

Simply take him every hour. If he wets before that, switch to every 1/2 hour until he really starts to get it. Until he starts walking down the hall and using the bathroom without even telling you about it, everyday, with no accidents for at least a week, you will need to help him keep track. Make sure he goes at least every 3 hours or when you see him doing the potty dance.

And just use diapers until he really seems to be getting it and staying dry. Then switch to undies. Save pullups for naps, nighttime (or stick with overnight diapers if needed), and for long outings with unknown bathrooms.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Oh, and don't expect him to keep telling you he has to go either. The same thing applies - he'll quickly learn to ignore the feeling and delay going for as long as possible so he can keep playing as long as possible. Then he'll realize it's too late and will pee his pants before he can get there. Accidents like this are common into grade school. So help him be a big boy success. Keep track for him and tell him it's time to go.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• my son, when he was 2, told me
    "These (pull ups) are just diapers. so I can potty in them"

we threw them out and never bought them again, not even for my subsequent children.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• What I did at the day care was ask the kids once then a minute later say "OK now it's time for potty" and put them on. At that age, they don't repsond well, but I figure most people are going to ask them as they get older, so they might as well start associating it :) We did every 2 hours once they got the hang of it, then every 20 minutes after htat if they didn't go. When first starting, might want to do 1 to 1.5 depending on bladder control. But you'll get the hang of it. We used pull ups at day care with success. If your kid is having trouble thinking it's a diaper do big kids pants you can always put a pull up over it to help with messes, but he really needs to be able to feel the wetness
    Anonymous