How can I tell the difference between a swollen lymph node & a lump under my armpit?

It is about the size of a pencil eraser, very rock hard & oddly shaped, kind of like a tadpole. Every time I google hard lump under armpit, I get something about lymphnodes. I would think it would be larger.

Tinyhourglass

Asked by Tinyhourglass at 4:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Health

• I think it depends on the placement. A lymph node is going to be dead center under your armpit, right next to the tendon you feel there. If it is further down I would think it would be a lump, but for either one you should consult your physician.
    bearandtreemom

Answer by bearandtreemom at 4:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It depends on the node. Your body is fighting an infection...mine was like that for 2 days last week. It hurt to even put my arm down...I massaged it to release the fluid and it hurt like hell but went away. You can do a warm compress too.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• if the lump is still there in a week or two I would go to the doctor!!!!
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 6:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I've been told the small, tender lumps under the armpit are from using deodorant. But, do see your doctor!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 6:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2009