Jogging

What is the best way to transition from walking to jogging? Preferably not on a treadmill which I find incrediably boring, but outside. Currently, I typically walk 3 miles a day at about a 3.5 pace. I want to start jogging more. Any advice?

deputywife

Asked by deputywife at 4:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I would start out in intervals using a timer and gradually increase your length of time. EX: walking first 10 min, jogging for 10, walking 10, jogging 10, 10 min cool down. This will increase your heart rate and you can decrease your walking time as you get better.
    bearandtreemom

Answer by bearandtreemom at 5:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My aunt looks great and she does a workout where you run 30 secs, walk 30secs. Do this a few times so it is about 5 mins of your walk. Keep building up until it is 18 mins of your walk. I am thinking of trying it but haven't yet.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Hey Summer, have you heard of the Couch to 5K program? I used this program and it really worked. I went from not being able to jog for more than a few minutes to running 5-6 miles (of course, this was BEFORE I got pregnant with my twins LOL )

Here's the link to it:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    MamaCeleste0722

Answer by MamaCeleste0722 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• HI! when I transitioned to running I would run for a few minutes and then recover for 30 seconds and I repeated that until I could run the distance I wanted to.
    sugarmagnolia1

Answer by sugarmagnolia1 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 18, 2009