Amoxicillan?

My dd is on amox. for 10 days for an ear infection. I am supposed to give it to her every 12 hours. I have had to skip the last 2 dosses because since she is sick her bed times are all messed up. Yesterday she woke up @ 11:30am and went to bed @ 8:30pm, so since it hadnt been 12 hours i didnt give it to her. Again this morning she woke up late, @ about 10. So I didnt give it to her again because I know there is no way she will be staying up past 8. How should I work this out? Last time she was on meds for an ear infection it was every 6 hours which was a little easier to work out. But what should I do in this case?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my son was on Amox it just said twice a day. I'd do it right when she wakes up and right before bed. Skipping doses like that is worse than giving it to her every 8 hours. When you skip doses like that it allows the bad bacteria to strengthen...that's how bacteria becomes resistant to antibiotics.
    Anonymous

• Pick a time and if need be wake her up at that time even if it's just for the meds. (8am and 8pm)
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Just do it when she wakes up and before bed. don't worry about the exact time. It's better to get the meds than to miss them.
    Anonymous

• It's not helping her to miss those doses. Twice a day, when she gets up and before bed.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My daughter was just on that exact med for strep. I was told to give it to her three times per day. So she got it at breakfast, lunch and dinner time. I also agree with the above post about the bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics if the dosage is not followed properly and completely. Call you pharamcist and ask them what to do. They will know.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 6:12 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My doctor just gave us a prescription for this yesterday. He said the critical thing is twice a day - so breakfast and dinner is fine, even if just 8 hours apart. He made a point of stressing this, that I was not to worry about getting the doses in 12 hours apart but just one at the beginning of her day and one at the end.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2009