Tickling a baby

Does anyone think there is anything wrong with tickling a baby? Someone said to me that tickling a baby is mean but what if the baby is laughing, giggling, and smiling NOT crying? I think its all fun to tickle my son, its so funny to watch him squirming, giggle, laugh, and smile but if he were to start crying or it looked like he didnt want to play anymore I would stop.

So what do YOU think about tickling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• depends on the reaction of the child. one of mine hated being tickled, the other 2 laughed and giggled. it would have been mean to continue tickling the one that hated it. But they other were tickled a lot
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• i think its cruel when they are little itty bitty... they dont know to move their hand and stop you or anything...

i think its really mean to tickle babies.
    Anonymous

• do you like to be tickled?
    personally i hate it, but can't help from laughing, because it TICKLES.
    i dont make it a habit to tickle my son, and i dont like it so much when other people tickle him.
    depends how old the baby is also.
    Anonymous

• OMG...this is funny. The other day I told my DH that not everyone like to be tickled and he didn't believe me. So I'm not the only one who doesn't lik it. I will elbow someone in a heartbeat. LOL But my son likes it for some reason...
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 5:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I think it's fine to tickle a baby a little bit as long as their laughing and having fun. You don't want to tickle them to the point they start crying. It isn't good to tickle them too much, my husband hates to be tickled now because his aunt used to to tickle him so much when he was little. I'll just rub my finger nails down his back and he get's so ticked off. Tickling in moderation is fine.
    Anonymous

• I agree. When you get tickled, you can't help but laugh. I'll run my finger tips up my son's back, or his side, but I've never held him down to tickle.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 5:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• if they are too young, it doesn't affect them yet. when they are older it's fine. just as long as you don't do it too much, ya know? when you get to that point where you can't breathe b/c you are laughing sooooo hard?! :) My dd loves is and has since almost a year. before that was like "what are you doing to me" and didn't laugh. just gave me a funny look :)
    Anonymous

• I tickle my 6mo daughter by nuzzling my nose in her gulllies (armpits) or her ribs in the front. I don't do it continuously or for any great length of time. I never really thought about the fact that her laughter might not be a sign of enjoyment but I'm sure she's not unhappy. In fact, sometimes she fusses when I stop!
    2cubs

Answer by 2cubs at 5:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• and there is a diffrence between "Holding them down and tickling them" (which is usually not good) and "a quick tickle under the chin "
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Holding a baby down to tickle them is cruel, they can’t say stop or get away. But I think a little tickle is cute, it gives you and your baby interaction times where the baby is watching your reaction and reacting to you. I don’t see a problem with it.
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 6:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2009