Does your toddler imitate you?

My Dr. Sears baby book says that my 14 month old should be a "master imitator" by now, meaning that he likes to imitate the things I do, like sticking out my tongue or clapping my hands. But, my son doesn't imitate anything I do. Sometimes he'll watch me and laugh and think it's funny, but most of the time he''ll ignore me and he won't copy me at all. Have any of you had this experience? Do you think it's just a personality thing or a problem?

moniquinha

Asked by moniquinha at 5:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• there are different form of immintation. there is parroting what you say or clap of you clap then there is more immitation of things like 'wanting to vacuum or dust' becuase he sees you do it.

trying to wear mommy's high heals or wants to try to wear daddy's tie

hugging you is a form of immitation at that age, too, sometimes. you hug him, he sees you hug daddy or daddy hug you, or you hug friends.

some kids just never like those 'copy-me' games
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 5:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• my dd is 22 months and does like crazy. I can't remember how old she was when she started though. Now if she sees me going into the bathroom she runs in and sits on her potty too. She likes to vacuum and will go around with a cloth cleaning things. it's cute. She doesn't always do the monkey see monkey do type immediate type mimic, (like hold a hand up when I do) but she does the big picture things. LIke wanting to drink out of my straw when we go out to eat.
    Anonymous

• My DD is 15 and half months old and she just started to copy me. Before I would try to get her to copy me and she would just look at me and laugh, but now its a game we play. Give your son some time, if all kids were the same the world would be a boring place.
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 6:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• no one child is on target. he might start anyday now and he might not imitate you at all. but watch out... terrible twos are coming...
    Niecie

Answer by Niecie at 8:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My son is 15 months old and he imitates me and my husband a lot! But If your child isn't, it's nothing to worry about, Every Child is different!
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 12:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2009