Jack Russell Terrier Beagle Mix puppy

I just recently got a JRT Mix, I paid $100 for him, and I am very upset because in the ad and on the phone lady said he was a cockapoo! Clearly not, but when I went to pick him up, I feel in love and felt horrible leaving him at her house, not a good environment!! I am having problems with him, nipping and chewing (I think normal puppy behavior) but I am reading some bad things about them, but some great things also! I love this dog and I want to believe that with proper training he will be a good dog, but Im terrified! Any advise would be wonderful!! Also I forgot to add I have a 2 1/2 year old!

DMEs_mommy

Asked by DMEs_mommy at 5:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pets

• With proper training any dog can be great. He'll probably be a high energy dog though because of the jack russel in him. As long as you make sure to keep your 2 1/2 yr old higher in the pack order than him you should be fine. Just make sure to train him.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 5:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Jack Russells have TONS of energy (most terriers do). Make sure you tain him properly, or you will have a dog that is out of conrtol. They are great dogs and the make wonderful pets, as long as you start the training early.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 7:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Oh my yes. Definitely a high energy dog. I also have a high energy dog, please feel free to send me messages if you need. It is going to be so important for you to walk, walk, walk, walk, walk that dog every day. Playing isn't the same when you're dealing with a dog who has that much energy. I know, I have a weimaraner, and our dog before her.. was... a Jack Russell Terrier! Also I highly recommend that you attend puppy classes. Learn the "puppy play hold" to get him calm and learn to stop biting. Don't be terrified, just be ready to walk a lot. JRT's are very loyal, playful, and sweet dogs. Please feel free to send me personal messages if you want. We just finished the first year of high energy puppy-hood.
    AngelaSue1979

Answer by AngelaSue1979 at 7:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I have a jack Russel beagle mix. She is great with my 9 month old daughter. She is really smart too. We have had her since she was old enough to be weaned. She is very well trained and it wasn't hard either. She plays with my DD and doesn't try to bite her or anything like that. They play good together.
    theosgirl45

Answer by theosgirl45 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2009