at what age?

what age did you or think a kid should be alound to start dating?
and would you let them go out alone or tell them they have to go out in a group or make them hang out at the house so you can whach them?

sweetcareing

Asked by sweetcareing at 6:02 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son is only 19 months old, but I'd like to think that I will not let him date until he is 16, and even then it will only be with a group. If he wants to invite a girl over, that would be fine but I will not allow them to be in a room alone unless the door is closed. My parents allowed me to do too much and I know that I was a bad girl! The more you let out the leash the further they will stray!
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 6:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I never let mine go on a date alone until they were 16. At around 14 and 15 I did allow for group dates like to a dance or something with parents supervising or picking up and dropping off.

Answer by gemgem at 6:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My son is only 4 months old but I think I would let him at either 16 or 17 yrs. Any age less he will have group dates with supervision.
    CarsBars08

Answer by CarsBars08 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Group dates at 16, single dates when they are 18.
    bearandtreemom

Answer by bearandtreemom at 6:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• That's one of those questions that I can't answer until my children get older. We say that they will not seriously date one-on-one till they are 17 but, who knows, maybe it will be earlier maybe it will be later. It soley depends on how they are at that age. Deffinatly NO younger than 16 though.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I think that when my boys get old enough to date it will be group dating in jr. high (i say that instead of an age b/c i was always a year younger than the other kids in my grade b/c i advanced) and they can start one-on-one dating in high school.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• i believe you need to go by emotional maturity... todays kids aren't ready at age 16. i have a stepdaughter who is 16 and i won't let her even date with me in the car.... such a scary thought for parents...my boys on the other hand where mature enough to handle at 16 but i still didn't like it.
    Niecie

Answer by Niecie at 8:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I think that I am going to wait until my kids get older where I can see how mature they can act. I'm would like to not allow them to date until sixteen, but if they are immature, we'll hold off on it.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 11:57 AM on Mar. 19, 2009