Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of doctor should I see for what seems to be chronic head aches and migraines?

This might sound a little strange or funny, I have had a ton of headaches since having my son. Most of the time they are migraines where I physically get sick and it hurts to just move. I have always had migraines since I was a child but not this frequent. So I just wanted to know what kind of doctor should I see for this?

Answer Question

Asked by aidengrant07 at 6:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • start with your family docter they might refer you to a specialist

    Answer by lesliegail22 at 6:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

  • You should see a neurologist. You might also want to see a vascular specialist to determine if they're triggered by constriction of blood vessels. Most insurance companies require a referral from your primary care physician, but you should mention you'd like to see a specialist.

    My brother had severe migraines as a child. He went to a massage therapist, and after about 4 sessions, he hasn't had them again. You might also want to try an acupunturist-- I was skeptical when I went to mine, but it was quite amazing. I had a shoulder problem, and she was able to stick a needle in the right place and the pain just melted away. Once she took the needle out, it came right back, but I knew where to press.

    Good luck!

    Answer by Busimommi at 6:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

  • I feel for you! My migraines started when I was 7 and I'm now 36. I haven't been to a neurologist but plan to. After searching migraines a zillion times to try and find some relief I ACTUALLY FOUND SOMETHING THAT WORKS!! Believe me I'm certainly not a representative or anything of this product, just a woman who can't even count the number of times I've been to the E.R. dehydrated from throwing up! I've had to get I.V.'s soooo many times and it all started with a migraine. It's a product called MigraSolve Petadolex. It's clinically proven and has natural ingredients. It's Butterbur actually. I know I sound like a commercial but I accidentally found these and won't go a day without them now. I have only been able to find them at 1 Rite Aid near me (although the other stores don't have it) but I did some searching and found it much cheaper online. I VERY RARELY have migraines now and swear by this stuff!! Good luck!!!

    Answer by lahmeh at 7:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

  • Definitely a neurologist, but don't rule out acupuncture either. I've done both, and both helped. I also found out that many of my headaches that turned into migraines were from my TMJ and physical therapy for that has dramatically decreased my headaches. I can now manage my headaches with Rx meds fairly easily, unlike my sister.

    My sister has been debilitated by migraines since age 5, and after a one month stay at a Michigan pain clinic she found a doctor in Georgetown (D.C.) who performed surgery on her neck and temples to sever nerves. Sounds awful, but after witnessing her not being able to move for days at a time and uncountable trips to the ER, her pain has finally quieted down and she is able to live her life again. Good luck.

    Answer by kmarg at 7:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

  • i also had those. i had a headache that lasted 2 months STRAIGHT. i finally got worried and went to see my doctor. they did a ct scan to make sure it wasnt an anurism (sp), then once it was determined that it wasnt he gave me a combo of ib profen and midrin, for tension and withing 2 days of taking every 4 hrs, my headache was gone and hasnt come back. it could be a tension headache so you should see your reg. doctor. but if you have any type of blurred vision or neurological problems def. go to the er and have them check you out.

    Answer by marinewife1987 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

  • I was diagnosed with TMJ as a child, so that may be a contibutor, but I also think hormones and sinuses play a huge role too since they have gotten more frequent after having my son. Sometimes they last days at a time. I have tried to track the times of the month that I get them and it's sparatic (sp) so I can't say that they are from menstral problems. Thank you for your input and suggestions, I'm at my wits end and now I know where to start. :)

    Answer by aidengrant07 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.