When do you switch sides breastfeeding?

I heard it is when he gets off one boob so he gets everything he needs. The foremilk and hindmilk or whatever. But whenever he is done with one boob he is DONE! Is it ok to just do one boob at a feeding? I'm so confused.

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yup thats right! I never needed a pin or bracelet. I knew which boob to start with. The one that was a C, instead of the A! lol
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• You're right. When he comes off, OFFER the second breast. If he takes it, good, if not, that's good too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Yes, it is fine to do one boob per feeding. Thats what I did. I would put a safety pin on my side I needed to feed on next so I wouldn't forget when I was a newbie.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 6:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Yeah, I made a bracelet just to wear so I would know which side I need to do next.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Umm, you don't need to offer the other boob after a feeding :) I never nursed on both boobs a feeding. It was 1 boob per feeding to insure she got all the good hind milk she needed. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:14 PM on Mar. 18, 2009