What kind of formula is good for baby?

I'm 35 weeks pregnant and have decided not to breastfeed. I know it's best and I'll probably get alot of bull about how good it is for baby but I just don't see myself handling that for acouple years! So I am wondering what kind of formula is best for baby? I'm not looking for a bargain, I just need some advice about this! & also, are those cans of formula ready to use? or do you have to add water or something? It's getting close and I don't want to miss a thing! :)

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 6:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've heard from many grocerie stores that no one really uses the liquid formula. I used the powdered Enfamil Lipil from 6 weeks to present. It is milk based and is easier for transitioning to whole milk in the future. However, my sister used the powdered Similac and loves it. There is no right or wrong answer because your baby will probably react different to each one on it's own. You may even end up using a soy formula. You never know! Good luck...
    DAjZeZnLE

Answer by DAjZeZnLE at 9:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Prepare to get bashed...I'm sorry

I use Similac that you add water too. Make sure you check out to see if you can get WIC...if you cannot then go to costco and buy the formula
    Anonymous

• a couple years lol ..
    well i had tried with my first and my body didnt want to make it so i used the goodstart with DHA in it i really liked the goodstart
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• O.K. formula is the same,  brand names mean nothing. Formula comes in three forms, ready to feed liquid, concentrated liquid and powder. The ready to feed is the most expensive but most convenient. Powder is the cheapest but least convenient.  It is generally 1 scoop per 2 oz of water. 

There are other types of formula for babies that have feeding problems, like colic, or full blown milk allergies.  Your pediatrician will tell you if you need a special formula. 

As far as people giving you bull, so it's not their baby.  I had to do a combo.  I was working when I had my first and so she nursed when I was at home and had formula when I worked. My twins were premies and needed the extra calories from formula, they were also too little to nurse properly.  I pumped for about 4 months and used that to supliment the

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My daughter used Good start for the first 4 months, and started having bad gas, so we switched to Wal Mart brand (Parent's Choice) Gentle, and no problems since. Funny cause Good Start is $30 and Parents Choice is $14... Live and learn :).
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I totally understand about the breast feeding deal, i didnt make enough milk with my first pregnancy TWINS, so i used Enfamel with lipil, i had a hard time with the babies latching on me, but the lactation nurse kept pushing me and pushing me, so expect that when you do deliver your baby, it is best and i did both but only for about 3months, realy isnt that bad, but it is your choice, and noone whould say different, Usually the hospital will tell you which formula is best or pediatrician....
    BigSurprise2

Answer by BigSurprise2 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• We used Good Start with DHA also.

Our son tried Similac and others, but they gave him a tummy ache.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• i tried breastfeeding my first kid but it didnt work out..so i used Enfamil lipil milk with iron [powder] she turned out great,no gas or any type of problems..if u really are gonna go with formula u might wanna go to WIC..yup formula is pretty expensive....especially when your bebish starts drinking more of it.. goodluck

HelloKitty02

Answer by HelloKitty02 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I'm planning on breast feeding but thought I would chime in about the formulas. I am really into trying to cut back on using things with BPA's and canned food is one thing that does have BPA's. They line the cans with a plastic or resin that has BPA's in it to prevent them from rusting or giving food a metallic taste. If it were me, I would go the powered route rather than the ready made route. From the book Raising Baby Green by Alan Greene, M.D. "A 2007 analysis by the Environmental Working Group found BPA in 33 percent of the cans of concentrated soy- and milk-based infant formulas tested."
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Someone mentioned that powder formula is the least convenient cause you have to add water and mix it up, but actually it's more convenient when you're traveling, because you don't have to refrigerate it - just bring the powder along and mix it up when you're ready. I personally love powder for this reason.

All formula, including generic brands, has to pass the same inspections. So basically, all formula is the same (with the exception of special formulas for infants with special needs.) If it makes you feel better go ahead and buy a name brand like Enfamil or Similac, but the Walmart stuff is exactly the same.
    quirkymama

Answer by quirkymama at 7:58 PM on Mar. 18, 2009