Veterans -- how many hours do we have to go to get the new housing stipend with the GI Bill?

As you have probably heard, the housing stipend portion of the GI Bill takes effect August 1st of this year. However, there has been a change. I called the information line and they said that you do NOT have to be going full-time to recieve it, but only 51%. The lady I talked to was kind of sketchy about what this means. Does anyone know what it means? Is this in terms of credit hours, or is there more to it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• Did you check out the VA website. The military tries to make everything so confusing that they don't even know. LOL I want to start school in the fall but I don't even know if I'll get GI Bill.
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 7:04 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It means that you dont have to be a full time student but you have to be more than part time.
    Full tim student is 12 credits. At most schools that is 4 classes.
    Part time is 6 credits or 2 classes.
    so 51% im assuming would be 3 classes? Thats what i got out of it when my husband was talking about it. He is using it this fall. Talk to the VA office at the school.
    esimmons10

Answer by esimmons10 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 18, 2009