Should I have my son see a speech therapist?

My son will be 4 in june and I just feel like he could speak better. He knows how to talk but people just cant understand him too good. I understand everything he says but thats because Im his mom. I also practice with him and try to make him pronounce everything right. Like when he tells me "you see that?" it sounds like "you nee that?". Do you think a speech therapist would help him out? Is it expensive or can medicaid cover it?

andysgirl

Asked by andysgirl at 6:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• YES! Call your local school district about their Early Intervention program. They will evaluate your soon and provide therapy if needed. He can also receive therapy once he starts school.

The earlier you start therapy the better things turn out.

I am Mom to a 7 yr old son with an Autism Spectrum Disorder. His team of doctors and therapists tell us he will be considered "recovered" by the time he finishes elementary school.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Have you talked with his Doctor? If not you might want to and see what they say. Most of the time they have to make the recommendation. It might depend on the state - but in NC medicaid will cover it.
    lanckn

Answer by lanckn at 7:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Call the school district special education department. He's too old for Early Intervention, but the CPSE can evaluate him and let you know if he qualifies for services.

I have two in speech right now. I have trouble understanding them some of the time.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I have a almost 4 year old and he has a sever speech delay, We just took him to the pre school screening in our district yesterday and they set up a one on one with him and are going to get things going!! I would call your school district and see what they can tell you
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I have a little girl that is going to be 4 in April and she is doing the samething your little one is doing and I have her in speech and she is going to preschool that helps with speech and I can see that it is helping. she has medicaide and it is free so give it a try talk to your dr and ask if they know any schools or theapist that could help thats what we did and it is helping so much.
    Good luck
    sandersmom2girl

Answer by sandersmom2girl at 1:00 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• He will eventually grow out of it he is learning at his own pace but yes have the school help as well. My son had a stuttering problem and now he is doing fine. Just give it time don't worry.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Working with the right speech therapist can work wonders. My son just turned 4 and is just now talking. Up until about a month ago he only had like 4 words and now he is taking off like you wouldnt not believe. Good luck and i would definately look into speech.
    austin.311

Answer by austin.311 at 12:59 AM on Mar. 21, 2009