GOING CRAZY WITH MY PUPPY!!! HELP!

I have a 15 week old female chihuahua and i cant for the life of me figure out how to potty train her. She was doing good and now all of a sudden she is going every where. This is a huge deal and i can't handle it cause i dont know what im doing. She does go on the training pads but not always. How can i stop this? I usually put her nose by it and tell her no and tap her then put her where she is supposed to go but it hasnt worked!! AHHH

CaityMarie

Asked by CaityMarie at 7:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pets

• Has there been anything new introduced to the house she is living in.... any recent changes?
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Are you crate training? It's very effective. Also watch her when she drinks/plays. It's very common for pups to go right AFTER they drink water and right when they're done with play. Take her to her potty area and tell her "go potty" or "do your business" or whatever you say. Walk her around. And as SOON as she goes, give her a treat and LOTS of praise.
    AngelaSue1979

Answer by AngelaSue1979 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My opinion... those pads shouldnt be used for potty training. I think it confuses your dog. Do i go potty in the house or outside the house? I would start taking your puppy outside every 15 minutes until you see she is getting the hang of the potty thing. Your puppy is tiny therefore she has a tiny bladder. When she poos or pee give a small treat and praise and she will come to realize that outside is good and going to the bathroom outside is good. Also while your out there play with her..bring a toy and play. You shouldnt punish her for going in the house...unless you catch her in the act then you need to make a loud sound like a clap and run her outside. Be patient and remember Be Consistent it may take some time!!! Good luck !!!
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 8:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree with the above. Crate training is the key. Take your pup outside, if she doesn't do anything, bring her back in and put her back in the crate. Potty training is the toughest challenge.
    blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• bring her outside every 10-15 min. remember puppies are like kids.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 8:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree with the use of puppy pads.  I think they are a waste of time and money.  You are trying to teach your pup to go OUTSIDE and allowing the pup to use the pads indoors is only confusing your pup.  Make sure you take your pup out often.  Don't leave food/water down all the time, this will only make your pup go potty around the clock.  Feed on a schedule, and you pup will potty on schedule.
    Crate training will also be a huge help when trying to potty train.  Praise your pup with a treat when the pup goes potty outside.  If you take the pup out, and he/she doesn't go then bring the pup back out every 10-15 mins until he/she does go.

bookay

Answer by bookay at 10:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• First it takes months for puppies to learn correct behavior and putting their nose in it is not the answer only confuses them. Every 2 hours, let them out, and constantly praise with treats/affection. make sure you do not clean with products containing ammonia because thats likea sign saying re mark here. clean very well, and keep trying if not watch the dog whisperer, and its me or the dog on animal planet.
    CamsMom82208

Answer by CamsMom82208 at 1:49 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Chihuahua = 8-9months potty training before they finally get it. Have fun!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Mar. 19, 2009