do anyone else hate when people do this

my grandmother is always telling me how to raise my child...for example every little thing i do with my baby she nit pick at it do this don't do it like this do it like that ...it annoys me to the point of no return ...so today we was soppose to go out but she started her mess about what i was doing with my baby and i rather eat rice for dinner thatn to go out with her ..i want to have a good time not take a baby class during dinner

amiyamom

Asked by amiyamom at 7:23 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• Ugh, I dislike when people offer advice you never asked for!
    Serendipitydoo

Answer by Serendipitydoo at 7:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• You have to put up with stuff like that. Grandparents mean no harm, she just wants to help. Explain to her that you appreciate it, but she should trust you to make the right decision.. after all you are her grandchild.. (That will get her!)
    Anonymous

• you should sit down with her and tell her how you feel..
    i went through the same thing..it stoped when i opend my mouth and told her ...
    but dont be mean when you tell her.. and also tell her thank you for all the goog tip she had gave you..
    good luck!
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It took me about 10 years to get my family to stop telling me how to raise my son. I had to limit my time with the family, but I am raising him the way I want and he is an awesome 13 yr old.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:27 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• If possible, just let her talk and then do as you like. It must make her feel important to feel that she is passing along what she considers good advice. Actually some of what she is passing along may actually be valuable advice.

Answer by Bmat at 7:33 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• my mil does that. I can't tell if she means well, to me it feels like she thinks she would do a better job raising my kids, she just asked me the other day if I was feeding my baby cereal yet. Um, she's three months old.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 7:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• my daughter isnt even born yet but people are already telling me what to do is does get aggravating but you just got to ignore it
    Love_My_Lil_One

Answer by Love_My_Lil_One at 9:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Easy! "Let me tell you what to do..." lol! Sorry, bad joke.

Anyway, when my mom and MIL started all this, I put up with it for several years. Then I snapped! I was PMSing for sure because I wouldn't normally do this. It so happened that both my mom and MIL were at the house and were both comparing notes on how I needed to raise my kids. I told them that while I appreciate the experience they have gained over the years, they shouldn't be worrying about it. They are grandparents. DH and I are the PARENTS. Give me the chance to screw up my kids all on my own. Thank you! I want the heartburn, the sleepless nights, the doubt, the fear that all comes with trying not to mess up a kid so much they can't move out.
    Anonymous