My seven month old is sick, should I be really worried or not, and what can I do to help him feel better?

I took my son to the doctors today, and they told me he has bronchilitis (sp?) anyhow they gave him a breathing treament and gave me a prescription for oral albuterol for him to take three times daily, I feel so bad for him like I let him down by letting him get sick. What can I do to help him feel better? and is this something I should be very worried about or is it pretty typical. This whole time my son has been Breastfed which I wouldn't change for the world but I just always thought that BF babies dont get sick like this, and its because of me that he is sick.

hautemama83

Asked by hautemama83 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-14 Credits)
  • I'm a pediatrics nurse and we see just as many breastfed babies and formula fed ones in the hospital. There isn't much you can do to prevent illnesses in the first few years... it's how they build their immune systems.
    Things to make him feel better:
    Humidifier in his room
    Elevate his crib matress by putting a pillow under his matress (it will help him breath better)
    If his nose is snotty clear it with saline drops or spray and then suck it with a bulb syringe
    You can give Tylenol and/or Motrin (they can both be given at the same time if needed) for discomfort/fever
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:01 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• my son had that last month when he was 7 months too. It took him FOREVER to get over. I know it's scary when your son is having trouble breathing, for me the breathing treatments didn't help much..his oxygen levels were good. Get a cool mist humidifier if you don't have one already
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:31 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• First of all, these things happen. You do not need to blame yourself. There are so many sick kids everywhere and germs get passed around. The best thing is to take care of him now and look into things that can boost his immune system and balance his ph. message me if you want some info.

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 7:35 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My son is also BF and got Bronchulitis when he was 5 months. It cleared up after a doctor visit breathing treatment and one at home treatment (we already have a nebulizer from family members with asthma) Other than that, just keep him comfortable by doing the things people above have recommended.

A warm bath always soothes my son (well it did until he figured out how to kick and splash and make a mess :-)~ )

Also, something that my doctor told my mom to do with us when we had asthma or "chest colds" was to bring them into the bathroom with a hot shower going.. bring the swing or something for them to do.. of course don't let them anywhere near the water but the steam helps to loosen up the mucus and airways
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 7:56 PM on Mar. 20, 2009