What can I do for my newborn having trouble having bowel movements?

My newborn is 2 1/2 weeks old. He was born at 34 weeks gestation. We were in the NICU for 10 days. He is formula fed for the most part, I am trying to stop breastfeeding. We were having milk production problems.

twiztidnurse

Asked by twiztidnurse at 8:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Glycerin suppositories work well. But I would defiantly check with my childs pediatrician first.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• yeah,those glycerin suppositories work fine,but just break a small peice off,you don't want to five him the whole thing.Hope the little guy feels better.I'm stopped up too. lol
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• A little Karo syrup has always worked for me. It's an old wives remedy.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Karo syrup

evelyn334

Answer by evelyn334 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• When they are young they have to learn to poop... so he might look like it's really hard and turn red and maybe even cry but it's not a problem unless the poop comes out hard. A formula fed baby can go 3-4 days without a bowel movement and it's fine!
    You should NOT give your premature infant anything as far as juice, karo syrup or suppositories without your doctor's approval. He's only 38 1/2 weeks really... most babies aren't even born yet!
    You can help him to poop by doing some rectal stimulation... you could use a Qtip with some lube on it and gently press on his anus... it hopefully will cause him to push back and poop. Or if you know how to do rectal temps, use a thermometer.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• my pediatrician said add about 1/2-1 oz of prune juice in my sons formual bottle- if your breastfeeding - i am sure you store some - add it to that bottle
    nooneyouknow

Answer by nooneyouknow at 12:33 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• don't give Karo Syrup. That is WAY TOO MUCH sugar. Talk to your Dr before giving juice or suppositories. It also depends on what you mean by trouble. Babies can go 2 to 3 days without a bowel movement, even formula fed.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 19, 2009