Changing baby at airport

Is it okay to change the baby at an empty gate rather than going in the public bathrooms? I think I'd feel more comfortable, but I don't know if that is acceptable or not. Any ideas? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Travel

• I have taken my son on several flights since he was 4 months old. Every airport I have ever been to had a changing table in the restroom, and many airports had a family restroom that hardly ever gets used. Bring some disinfecting wipes and disposable changing pads for while you travel if you are worried about sanitation. Changing him at the gate is waaaaaaay more gross...people walk all over that, tracking remnants of all kinds of nasty yuck on the bottom of their shoes (traces of feces, motor oil, old food, urine...get the idea?) A changing table has just had other babies on it. Also, it is nasty for the other people who are going to be in that area right after, and there won't be a good place for you to dispose of the diaper or wash your hands. For heaven's sake, please do not throw a dirty diaper in the regular 'public' trash! Eww!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• If it is just pee then I would say ok as long as you lay baby on a blanket or something, otherwise use the restroom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I used to change my kids in their strollers if they were wet with a disposable change pad underneath. If you are on your own with carry on and a stroller it can sometimes be hard to navigate into the restrooms. If it stinks then yes use the restroom even if you still change baby in the stroller.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 20, 2009

• i have.. LOL i have a changing pad that fits in his diaper bag.. i have a small bag, anyhow.. i laid it on a chair, and then changed him, and then wiped down the seat after we were done with a bottle of purrell...great stuff.. hell, i've even charged my laptop battery at one of the empty gates LOL
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:47 AM on Mar. 22, 2009