How can I get my 2 year old daughter speaking?

I have a daughter that is turning 2 next week, she understands everything you tell her and she speaks about 15 words but she is not forming a 2-3 word sentence should I be concern?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hi mom, my dd is 3.5 and has a speech delay. She has been in therapy since she was 18 months.

Your dd does sound delayed. Mention it to your ped. and tell them you want her to go for an evaluation. The speech therapist will test her and will give you her thoughts and scores for you dd. The programs are wonderful. Most are free and they will teach you how to work with her too. Early intervention is best so contact your Dr and get the process started.

For the kiddos: therapy is playtime, but there is purpose. For parents its a time to watch, take notes and learn about your dd and her delay. Ask lots of questions, thats what they are there for.

My dd has come a long way, but its from YEARS of constant work. She will be fine, she may need a little push.

My dd attends a state preschool right now and its FREE, thats the best part of intervention, its usually state funded. Message me if you want. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I dont think you should each kid develops differently. I just bought the book what to expect the toddler years you should get it VERY insightful with helping tips for these situations. Just make time each day to sit down when she is up to it and work on word association. Hold a teady bear have her say it.....tell her pretty teddy....then pretty big teddy....or something along her level of words
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• It won't hurt to call Early Intervention. They will evaluate her and decide if there is a delay, how severe of a delay and if she qualifies for services.

My thoughts are that if there is help for them, why leave them being behind their peers for who knows how long when services can help them catch up to their peers in a shorter amount of time?

I have two in speech and two in OT (one kid receives both).
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree with TickledBlue... it can't hurt to have her evaluated. If she's just not a talker and is taking her time, fine. If she needs help, you'll be on your way to getting it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2009