C-sections are elective in the USA???? Not over here.

You can't ask or a caesarean here in the UK. They are always given for special circumstance. Like breech, emergency, high BMI.

Why is it elective in the US?

I know some women would want it to be elective over here. But, i'm quite happy its not. (even though i may be having one)

mum-to-be-at-18

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i know my ob doesnt let you choose only if something is wrong we are from alabama
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Yep, it's elective here. Even with all the research on the dangers of c/s no one cares. Women are about convenience over here, and having the baby on THEIR time, not when the baby is ready. It's kind of sad really. The fact that c/s increase infant mortality doesn't mean anything, as long as the women doesn't have to be uncomfortable anymore! US women are selfish creatures.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I you had to have a c-section with your first baby over here. You pretty much always have to from that point if you have more kids. I'm only glad we don;t have it here cos it would make childbirth seem a lot easier for younger women. Younger then myself and they will be getting pregnant earlier cos they wont have to deal with labour.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

^ Totally agree.^! I'm from the U.S and I was scared that I would have C-S because the my Ob wanted to induce me which increase the chance of having a C-S , The Doctors over here are also about convenience and less about the well being of the mother and baby.
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• sorry for the typos.
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 8:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• easier? really? I couldn't imagine a c/s being easier than vaginal birth. that notion seems so crazy. In countries where c/s are not elective, they have a much lower infant mortality rate. The US is one of the highest... and also has one of the highest c/s rates... it's not just a coincidence.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Many doctors in the US do not perform C-sections just because the woman wants it. I know several doctors in my area alone that will only do C-sections if there is a medical reason to, or if you have already had one. So even though it might be elective in the US, there are still many doctors that won't do them unless there is a medical reason.
    Anonymous

• "US women are selfish creatures."

I disagree with the generalization which I'm sure you didn't meant to make or intend to include ALL US women. I'm "US" and hardly selfish. I honestly don't see people wanting a C-section to be any different than people wanting an abortion WHEN you look at it from the "it's MY body, I'll do what I want with it perspective." If a woman has the right to an abortion claiming she doesn't want to be a human incubator for a baby she doesn't want to carry any more and THAT'S OK and legal...then why wouldn't it also be legal for a woman who wants her baby to say "OK, I'm done carrying this baby, it's my body and I want it out of me now." People are stomping and screaming over "women's rights" and "it's our bodies let us do what we want" and yet some of the same people are hollaring over C-sections when they're based on the same principle lol. (cont.)
    Anonymous

• I don't think I had a choice but then again I didn't ask. My friend had a c-section a week after I found out I was pregnant and she still had pains the day I went into labor...no thank you!! But I do know some women choose too. I guess.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 8:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• (cont.) Pick one or the other. Either we have total control over our bodies and can do what we want with them regardless of the impact on the baby OR they make laws banning things that are harmful for the baby (i.e. abortion or c-section) but then the government has control over our reproductive freedoms lol. You can't have both.

Do I disagree with an elective C-section? Absolutely. I think doctors that do anything that harms a baby (knowingly) should lose their liscenses.
    Anonymous