My baby swallowed a big wad of paper, what should I do???

Will it come out in her poop or make her sick???

AlessasMommy1

Asked by AlessasMommy1 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• O__o my daughter does this a lot! either she somehow discovers a tissue box lying around and eats some tissue, or i'll find her nibbling on some cardboard (clothing tags, paper towels, toilet paper!) or something. it can be frustrating because you don't want her to choke & it's not even food. one time she ate part of her grandfather's magazines laid out on the floor. -____-

what i've found myself doing after my child (now officially 10monthsold) eats paper, is give her a sip of something to drink (formula, water), watch her breathing.. and after a few minutes if she seems fine. wait for her to poop it out. it never seems to constipate her or anything, her poop always seems normal. no trace of paper.

i wouldn't worry too much, i'm sure your child paper mache'd it before swallowing and stomach acid is some very powerful stuff. she'll just poop it out.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 2:14 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• its fine my son did that at like 9 mons. it is not going to hurt her.
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I would watch her closely for the next day or two, make sure she don’t act like her stomach is hurting. It should pass without any problems but if she starts complaining about her stomach she may need to go to the doctor or the ER. Good luck.
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 9:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Regular paper? She should be fine. I used to eat paper all the time when I was a kid. Ppl knew I would do it and I would always get dared.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 9:07 PM on Mar. 18, 2009