Does this sound right?

My 7 month old is sick and has really bad diarrhea and is occassionally throwing up. He's still eating/drinking just fine so no concern there but when I called his doctor they told me to switch his formula over to soy for a few days and give him an extra ounce or two at each feeding. Now, my thought is that if his stomach is obviously already upset, wouldn't switching his formula and giving him more than what he's used to at each feeding make it worse? I think what they're trying to do is stop his diarrhea, but it just doesn't sound right to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Did you recently start the formula you're currently on? If so, then yes - try switching. If he has been on this formula for awhile, then I don't see why you'd switch it. I'd give some pedialyte and small amounts of formula when you do give it (a couple ounces at a time then a break then a couple more ounces, etc.).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Switching to soy is supposed to be better on their tummies, but my daughter was so sick she threw that up too and I've NEVER in my life smelled anything worse! I don't think her system not being used to the soy formula should matter, though. Just look for any lactose free formula. There are a few choices. Pedialyte could be a good option as pp said. Just be sure baby stays hydrated.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• with my son he had the stomach virus like at 8 1/2 months old we tried to decrease the formula and try ped- lite we also did stoney farms yogurt it has that bat. in there it replaces the bat that they lost from throwing up. it is just like baby food real creamy try that or run it by the dr. the formula that he is telling u is it that isomil df that helps with that i have never used that good luck.
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I dunno I can see it both ways...Switching normally would upset a tummy I would think but if he's been sick the lactose in the milk may be more upsetting...hmmm... This is a quandary...I guess I would just go with what the Ped said if it was me.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:25 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Giving him more of soy will not make him worse because soy doesn't have as much of the protein that your baby would get in milk based formula. This will not make his stomach sick, but you have to give it atleast a week to really know if it is helping with the vimitting and diarhea. My son did the same thing most of his babyhood and did not react well to any of the remedies I was given. Good luck!
    DAjZeZnLE

Answer by DAjZeZnLE at 9:30 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Sounds right. Lactose make diarrhea worse... so switching would make it better. Switching formulas won't upset his stomach.
    You could also find a lactose free formula in the same brand and it would do the same thing and might be more similar to what he is used to.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2009