Night feedings

Do you think if a 7 month old wakes up twice a night and eats 6 oz. that she's really hungry? She goes down at 8, up at 1 for a bottle, up again at 4 and up for the day around 6:30. should I try to stop the night feedings? Or is she really hungry?

VBeachMommy

Asked by VBeachMommy at 8:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Still hungry and still needing the milk at that time are 2 different questions. Yes she's probably hungry at those times because she's used to eating then. Most 7 month olds can fast long enough to skip the first feeding for sure. She can make up for the milk during the day, but it requires some adjustment. As in an angry baby for a little while, just while her system adjusts. It's like if you always have a midnight snack, you get hungry then. A 7 month-old should be good for 9-12 hours at night without milk. I would try offering a little more milk during the day and then try to get her back to sleep during the first wake-up without the formula.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:03 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• She's probably still hungry... I would try weaning the night feedings when she's a little bit older..
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Does she fall asleep on the bottle? If so, she might just be waking up and wanting some assistance getting back to sleep (all babies wake up several times at night). Try to get her to go to sleep on her own at night (i.e. without the bottle...give the bottle before the bath or the book or whatever and lay her down awake). If she learns to go to sleep on her own initially, she might soother herself back to sleep in the night without waking you up. Also, give her a few minutes when she wakes up at night...my daughter is 11 mo. and if I just give her 10-15 minutes when she wakes up at night, she'll usually go back to sleep on her own.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• my son tried that too i talked to his ped and he told me at that age they dont have to eat though the night he told me when he got up to eat offer him water we did that for 3 nights and there were no more late night feedings my son has never been under weight and didnt loose any from this.
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• She does fall asleep on her own. Sometimes she falls asleep on the bottle but always wakes up when I lay her down. What if I give her water and she really is hungry? Won't the water just fill her up with no nutrition?
    VBeachMommy

Answer by VBeachMommy at 8:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• try to add an extra feeding during the day it has helped my 5 month old skip the 1 am feeding...but she is always up btwn 6-7 am lol
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 18, 2009