The mom that has a daughter a 2 yr old that says only 15 words

Thank for the advice I just need to approach my husband with that, I just worry that they would falsely diagnose her with something she does not have because they tend to do that sometimes. My daughter understands mostly everything I tell her and she points to stuff example(eyes,nose,feet,hands,light,TV and many more) she even tends to hmm's some words and she does know 15 words but, when she wants something she does not say it she hmm's the word and I also noticed she tends to say dada but there are times that she refuses to say the word again so she says papa stubborn..lol

Abbey1325

Asked by Abbey1325 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried a speech therapist that worked for my youngest now he talks too much :) , he only pointed at things didn't say momma or dada the therapy helped alot try it ....
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My son was like that he didnt talk. he was always saying behhh and dehhh and that was it, I put him in this program out in vegas called early childhood and it ended up being a nightmare because they screen them for everything, he is now 7 and cant read and is 3 grade levels below and is in special ed. My best advice to you is dont do anything through the school district and try to not let the district know about anything you are going to do, my daughter is 2 as well and says over 30 words. I would give her time as well. and start putting her around kids her age if she isnt already.
    nessy1980

Answer by nessy1980 at 9:21 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My DD was like that and I finally had to not give her what she wanted until she said it.....like if she wanted juice I would tell her to "use her words" and not give it to her until she said "apple" it took alot of patience and ALOT of temper tantrums but it worked...I think though she was just stuborn and didn't want to say it! If she didn't know the words I would say it and make her repeat it a few times....and keep saying "do you like your apple?" and point to her cup...things like that...good luck! Hopefully it will be over soon!
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 18, 2009