Switching my 1 year old to whole milk...

I have been told by WIC to start transitioning my son to whole milk a cupple weeks before his first birthday. Well, I tried by putting 2oz whole milk and 4oz formula into his bottle. He was having bad diarhea so I stopped until he turned one. Since then, I did the 2 to 6 ratio again and he was fine, so I turned it up to 3 and 3 and 4 and 4 (he started drinking more out of the blue), he was fine with this. Then just recently, I have started doing 6oz whole milke and 2oz formula with hopes of bringing him completely off of formula, but he has started throwing up again and having some diarhea (not as bad as before). What should I be doing?

DAjZeZnLE

Asked by DAjZeZnLE at 9:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just switched it. I didn't mix or anything try that. Maybe its the combination? GIve it a good week- watch for blood in the poop. If the diarrhea doesn't get better call your pediatrician and see what they recommend.
    Anonymous

• Give him just water for one whole day it sounds weird but it works the water will clean out all the formula then give him just the milk alone don't mix them ,I did this with my kids and it worked fine my pediatrician told me to do it that way ... Hope he feels better :)
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• i diluted the milk with water andgave a small amount and only one bottle a day to start at about 8 mos. my som is 2 mos premmie. i aggree that the milk and formula mix is the problem. formula is heavily fortified. mixing it with milk may be giving him kind of a nutrient overdose and the body's way of correcting is to eliminate by vomiting and/or diarrea. the one year mark is not supposed to be the end of formula/ breastmilk. if your son is not taking in enough solid food he still needs it, just not as the sole source of nutrition. don't let WIC dictate how you feed your child. talk to your son's doctor and if need be get a doctor's note for WIC to continue to allow for formula only or only a small allowance of milk. just remember WIC personnel are NOT doctors and do not have final say over your child's health.
    chazsmom

Answer by chazsmom at 10:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Yah, what she said above! ;)
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 11:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• try switching him straight to whole milk for a day.. if he has problems, call a doctor, he may have an allergy to the milk.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:43 AM on Mar. 19, 2009