breastfeeding with inverted or flat nipples.

ok, for starters I have flat nipples. my friend has inverted nipples. she wants to breastfeed her next child. I was wondering if stimulating her nipples (like squeezing them between her fingers) would get them to stand up like mine do when I do that so she won't have any issues with latching that way. will it work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• That's what I did. I just made them pop out. My whole life, anytime a doctor saw them, they'd mention that I might have trouble breastfeeding. So when I got pregnant with my first, I started kinda pulling them out with my fingers. My son never had trouble nursing, and neither did my daughter for that matter. I think nursing actually helped them, because after a while, they wouldn't go back in (not that I wanted them to). My OB told me that was normal.

Anonymous

• She could also try wearing TheraShells (made my Medela) in her bra during the last 3 weeks of her pregnancy. You start by wearing them for 1/2 hour, then gradually increase the wear time. There is also a product called LatchAssist by Lansiloh that helps draw out the nipple. It's like a suction cup, and you use it right before you nurse.

I have flat nipples, and both these products worked wonders for me. I've been successfully BFing for 8 months now.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2009