Should I wake him?

My son has been sick all day and is still sleeping. Normally his naps are about an hour but h'es been asleep for over 4 hours now. His usually bedtime is in an hour...should I wake him up or let him sleep? I just don't want to throw off his nightime sleeping schedule and make him feel even worse. This is the first time he's ever been sick so I'm kind of at loss of what to do..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just let him sleep. If he gets off schedule you can always work him back on it. Sleep is very important for them when they are sick. I hope he feels better soon!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:41 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I say never wake a sleeping baby. But if you think YOU will be up all night, wake him. I hope the little one feels better soon!
    Anonymous

• i dont know how old he is, but my daughter (8.5 mo) always sleeps at night no matter when or how much she sleeps during the day. when she was younger, she would go to bed a little later if she slept an extra amount during the day, but she has actually on her own started going to bed around 8pm - which is great because that is what time my SKs go to bed.

i would say let him sleep. if he has been sick he needs his sleep. i never wake my daughter unless i absolutely have to.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My advice would be to first of all make sure that his breathing sounds and/or seems normal, and if it does then i would probly just let him sleep through. Word of advice from a mother of one (my son is one years old) never be afraid to call your doctor with any questions you may have, even if you think they sound or seem like islly questions never be afraid to call the dr.!!!!!! Your the mom you have every right to voice any concerns you might have. I hope everything goes well for you! Take Care!
    Stacy712

Answer by Stacy712 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• hehe i ment SILLY NOT ISLLY sorry its been a long day!
    Stacy712

Answer by Stacy712 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• How old his he? If he is younger and sleeping through his normal feeding times, then wake him. Not to scare you, but my second daughter had RSV and it caused her to sleep all the time and not want to nurse. In one day she became dehydrated and had to go in the hospital.

Call your Dr. and let them know what is going on, make sure he is still eating and having wet diapers. If his diapers have a strong urine oder or are a darker color, then he his dehydrated.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 19, 2009