My husband believes these shows are evil?

My mom just recently bought a couple seasons of the Golden Girls and of The Nanny. Well she let me borrow one of each. I was watching the Golden Girls when my husband got home from work. He tells me that the show is evil because in the show Blanche is promiscuous, Sophia and Dorothy are sarcastic and that the ladies talk about bad situations. My husband also said The Nanny is evil because they say the word gay in it. I like these shows I don't think they're that bad....there is a lot worse on TV. My husband is pentecostal and believes a lot of things are evil. I am a Christian and my husband says that by watching these shows I am sinning? I just need a good laugh sometimes. Its not like I try to live the lives they do. kwim? I've had a really long day and thought it would be nice to unwind watching something funny. What do you ladies think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was christian and am learning catholic now and I think you perfectly fine. You are not watching it because you are agreeing with the "gay" or the "cursing" you are watching it for the honest humor. I think he is over reacting and you shouldn't worry about it too much, but also you should sit down and have a serious conversation about this with hubby I wouldnt want you two to fight and you be an evil person in his eyes.
    Anonymous

• I think you can almost always find evil in all things... worst of all T.V. Try and encourage the good in the situation.... there are no commercials in dvd's... lol
    Anonymous

• You are NOT sinning! He sounds more like (no offense to those who are) a holiness man!
    Omg! Most of them are like that, everything is a sin..
    The word of God does not say you are, you aren't. He is not the word of God.
    I know plenty of pentacostals, and I've been around that religion a lot.
    Anonymous

• I think your hubs is full of it and he needs to get over himself.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I think your DH has issues quite honestly.

My thing is they are not reality, they are fictional shows created to make you laugh and have a nice 30 mins. Big deal....

If he wants to put more into it and make them more "real" then thats his problem and you shouldnt feel bad for enjoying them or feel like your spirituality is at stake.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 9:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• The Golden Girls and The Nanny are way better than what shows on tv now. Even the commercials are just...wrong. It may have a few things in it, but nothing God is going to write down as a sin. Actually, those shows are pretty good, but I do wonder if your husband is more concerned with the fact that the Nanny dresses revealing, Blanch (sp?) is promiscuous and vain, and the women are sarcastic (what woman isn't? lol) and he thinks that, that behavior will rub off on you? That maybe it will be some kind of influence on you? Is your husband a male chauvinist by any chance? No pun intended, just asking..Does he act like one?

Anonymous

• i agree with all the previous posters.

golden girls evil.. ha ha! that is great. i loved watching that show with my grandpa when i was little. it is hilarious. rose and sophia i think are my favs.

and the nanny....really. just because they say the word gay....woo....how can he even go out in the world. is he sinning for being around people who curse? i think the nanny is interesting sometimes, but not one of my favs. either way, watch what you want. my SO and I don't always agree on tv choices (not for religious reasons), but we just sort of take turns.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• If you told your husband his parents had to have sex before he was born, would his head explode?
    Anonymous

• as a Christian, do you believe your husband is the head of the house? Your Spiritual Leader?

Has he asked you to not watch those shows or just told you his opnion of them?

I don't think they are evil shows, but honestly, I don't alway get enjoyment out of shows that laugh about sins.

But, it is a personal thing. You need to ask God to guide you and read His word and if you don't feel convicted about the shows after that, then fine. But if you do end up feeling convicted maybe they aren't shows you should watch.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 10:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree there is evil messages in television.God protects me from the evil messages taking hold of my heart.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2009