how to treat ear infections at home

13 month old boy, teething

Sweet_tart24

Asked by Sweet_tart24 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Health

• you go to the doc to make sure he doesn't need meds. teething doesn't cause ear infections. ear infections are caused by bacteria or a virus. teething is neither of those things.
    Anonymous

• well, most ear infections have to run their corse. but some need antibiotics. i would take him to the pedi and see if he needs meds. they should give you ear drops to ease the pain. make SURE they give you thoes. if they do and he is still in pain, use a warm wash cloth or some other kind of warm compress. i am dealing with this too, went to the doc and we are going back cus this ear infection keeps on coming back!
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• 80% of all ear infections clear up on their own without needing antibiotics and studies show that WITH the antibiotic, people only heal or see symptoms ease one day sooner. I'll find the link if you want it.

Anyways, just do your best to ease the pain with warm compresses. Back in the day my mom would blow cig smoke into my ear or use a hair dryer with the heat setting on low and blow that in my ear. It seemed to help...not sure if those are old wive's tales type things tho.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2009