IS this legal or is it creditor harassment?

So I've been receiving phone calls from a collection agency. Due to my DD being really sick we had to pay things with a credit card. My husband lost his job and since I've been out of work for years people want to hire me even less than him. Anyway the collection agency keeps sending me post cards everyday not identifying themselves only to call this number and when you do it's them. Also they call me several times in a row. For instance tonight the same lady called me four times right in a row (there was less than five minutes between the calls) Each time I would talk and hang up but she kept calling back demanding payment. Also they refuse to give me their address. Is this creditor harassment what can I do? Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• i would ask to talk to a manger or someone in charge tell them your story maybe they can work something out to help you and not call so much
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Try calling this number 888-332-7252 It is against the law what they are doing to you .If that number doesn't help try local law firms and ask for a booklet that might help you . Good Luck .
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Depends on who is calling. The postcards are legal. The repeated phone calls in a row could be considered harassment, but, that law only applies to 3rd party collections. If they farm their work out to a separate collection agency, you can sic the Attorney General on them. If the collector is your account rep within the company that owns the debt, the FDCPA laws do not apply.

If you want the calls to stop, mail them a cease and desist letter via certified mail with return receipt so you have proof they got it. That can make them stop calling, but it can't make them not sue you, so only do that if you're prepared for it to get to that. It will make them only contact you by mail, though.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:56 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I had a man call me and back me into a corner because i dont know everythign in my hubbys past, he is deployed and befor he joined the army i guess he over drew a bank acct. well this guy called me a bad wife and mom cause i dont know every little detail about my hubby, i felt soo bad i asked him to call back or if i could call him back he told me he made on call thats all and i should be happy he mad the call that day, and to give him out back info... So stupid me i did, well when i finally talked to my hubby he yelled at me too so its a loose loose either way, i really dont think they can legally but with the economy they just want thier money like everyone else...
    armerswife

Answer by armerswife at 3:25 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Nope post cards are illegal! VERY illegal, but you are now very lucky, I hope you have kept them. Because you and your husband have little to know income you can get a lawyer at no charge through your county or state to sue the collection agencies and/or the credit card companies. I know, because I was part of a class action lawsuit for this reason. A company harassed me and others at work, at home, 24 hours a day, even after the dept was paid! The state of Maine sued them and we won. But you don't have to do a class action suit you can get a lawyer and sue them for more than you owe. In the end they will probably end up paying you. Most likely you will put the collection agency out of business and walk away with money in your pocket. You can even tell them they can only call you between the hours of 6:00 and 6:30 and that is the ONLY time they can call you. Go to your states website and search for collection agencies.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:25 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Sorry, I ran out of room to type. It's call "The Federal Fair Debt Collections Practices Act ("FDCPA")" and it works. Those bottom feeders think they can push you around because so far you haven't told them you know your rights. Well Google "The Federal Fair Debt Collections Practices Act ("FDCPA")" learn your rights and tell them what they are going to do. Keep a record and take them to court.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:32 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Look on Suze Orman's website for Consumer Debt Councilling for your area. The are non-profit and can help. Try credit.org.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Here's the law
    http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre27.pdf

No they CAN NOT harrass you...period - if you tell them to stop calling (or send a certified letter) then they must do that...

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 19, 2009