• In the Spotlight:

Parents with ADD/ADHD kids..what made you decide to test?

We have a 7 year old son I've been thinking about testing for ADD/ADHD and wanted some advice from others who have been there. What made you decide to test? How do you tell the difference between a hyper kid with a short attention span and one with ADD/ADHD? When you decided to test, how do you go about it and what is involved? When they were diagnosed, is medication the only treatment? Thanks so much, this is something we've struggled with deciding to do since he was 4. I wanted to give him time but at this point his behavior is only getting worse. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I decided to test because I wasn't sure if she was crazy, I was going crazy or I was just a bad parent. I went through our local hospital who had a pediatric clinic specializing in ADD and ADHD. Way too many children are misdiagnosed and put on medication that is just not neccessary. We decided that medication was not the route we wanted to go but that doesn't mean that no meds are the be all end all. Some children respond well to medications, some parents are willing to take that longer road with out them. We used diet, behavior modification, consistancy, and counceling. It was way more difficult than using meds but we felt it was worth all the extra work. In the beginning I always felt like I was not doing a good enough job, especially when she back tracked which does occur. The child was out of countrol in the beginning but slowly things began to change. It talkes patients, stamina and sometimes meds for mom lol
    contrarymary811

Answer by contrarymary811 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• First of all the behavior will be consistent no matter the setting...home or school.
    Is he constantly on the go as if driven by a motor?
    Does he leave his seat especially when expected to stay put?
    Is he always making noises?

Those for us were the big things. At your son's age, if you do evaluate and receive a diagnosis, it's more likely to be "correct"...although if you do any therapies it could change depending on how he responds to it.

There are other treatments to try before medication. There are some children who (to be quite honest) need the medication to help them.

My son has been seeing a psychologist in an attempt to control his behavior since November. (he just recently turned 5) The next appointment is 4-10...we're looking at a diagnoses of PDD-NOS and ADHD.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:43 AM on Mar. 19, 2009