Parents with ADD/ADHD kids..what made you decide to test?

We have a 7 year old son I've been thinking about testing for ADD/ADHD and wanted some advice from others who have been there. What made you decide to test? How do you tell the difference between a hyper kid with a short attention span and one with ADD/ADHD? When you decided to test, how do you go about it and what is involved? When they were diagnosed, is medication the only treatment? Thanks so much, this is something we've struggled with deciding to do since he was 4. I wanted to give him time but at this point his behavior is only getting worse. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Before you do that.. have you tried everything else? i.e., his diet, taking away TV and or games? Before I did anything drastic with drugs and all, I would suggest you seriously look into all aspects of his life... Does he live in a stressful home environment? These things all might be playing on his behavior.
    Anonymous

• I have been told by Pedicatri Psychologist mt boys have ADD/ADHD moderate to severe. I was actually have them testing for other issues that I struggled with getting a grip on how to teach and parent. I already knew they more than likey had ADD/ADHD , but havng doctors ell me they not only had what I wasgetting them evaluated for, they also looked like they had moderate to severe ADHD/ADD ( & should have a full evaluaton for it)- just confirmed it. I never went for the full eval.

I use diet modification and behavioral therapy with my boys.

How about try some diet modification and behavioral therapy on your own for a couple months and see if there is an improvement.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 10:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• take a look at www.sharethecause.com/hastily/Unseen-Killers  and let me know what you think,

You might want to give it a try. Message me with your thoughts

Mary

jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 10:45 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• My son is six I have had him tested because he's school has been complaining about his behavior, If he has it it's only gonna get worse. You will know because they never sit down, or stop talking they are constantly moving all the time. I can't imagine what that be like his mind never shuts off that can't be good for them. They don't sleep well, I have no choice he's has to take medicine the doctor told me that. Sometimes that's the only thing that can help them, I have tried everything even making him do laps around our house to get him tired that doesn't work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My son had already been diagnosed with language processing disorder because he didn't speak until he was three. Even though he has been in special ed. since preschool, he was having a lot of problems in first grade last year. We had him evaluated (QEG, brain mapping) and learned he is ADHD and high functioning Autistic. He continues to have behavior and academic problems. We cannot medicate as he is not a good candidate for medication becasue of coexisting neurological disorders.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 1:11 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I also have a 7 year old boy. He talks excessively, doesn't get his class work done, doesn't listen well. My gut says he probably has ADHD, but I don't want to label him and also don't want to medicate him, unless the medication just took the edge off...I don't want him to have a personality change or zombie effect. Does anyone have website about diet and behavior modifications?

drewbyz

Answer by drewbyz at 1:34 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• My daughter is 6. I tested her after 2 years of school trouble, after extensive reading on the subject and after she asked me for help with making friends and getting along better at school. It was a painful thing to do, but now I'm so glad and its so much easier.

The medication helps her. it doesn't take over for her or change her, but it gives her a little more patience, a little more calm so that she can do the work. There is no personality change or zombie effect. It is her the way she is on a good day except more often (which is not to say we don't have bad days-just fewer.)

We are also participating in a Home/School Success group through our children's hospital which is incredibly helpful. We have group meetings with 5 other families, parenting assignments, school meetings, targeted goal charts. I feel like it helps me be a better parent to her and to my other child.

Now I'm glad I pushed on through the process
    DanaMT

Answer by DanaMT at 9:03 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Ki has SID/Dyspraxia & ADHD. We found a diet that works well. Very well. It was a LOT of work the first couple years, but well worth it.

I made two blog entries. here's one: http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1424194/ADHD_SID_Diet_Therapy_PART_2

one is of foods he can/could have and one of foods he can't/couldn't have for a while.

He also use behavioral Therapy and Occupatonal Therapy. I want my kids to learn to listen to their bodies and be able to do things to help control themselves, instead od relying on drugs to do it for them. It is a lot of work and time but for me and my kids, worth it. They can tell when they are having a bad day and know what they need to do.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 11:43 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It is good to do something now and not wait any longer, my son is 7 1/2 and he is A.D.D/A.D.H.D and it took me and my husband a year or so too to decide what to do because he had/has all the symptoms----fidgets,swings arms,constant head movements,rocks in seat,dont sit still,, and yes I questioned it too,is he just a normal 6 year old or is there really something going on, so we talked to his doctor and we got him evaluated by a Psychiatrist and thats how we found out for sure he had it.Then we went back to his dr and talked about what kind of med to put him on and believe me I didnt want to do it, his dr sais the best one to start him on is STRATTARA[18 mg], its not addicting,my son is not a zombie on it and he is doing much better in school and at home, I give it to him at 8p.m with a snack or sandwich,something in the belly,it will cause abdominal pain at first but will go away. hope this helps.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 9:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2009