When did you break your child from the bottle?

My DS was at 12 months and we had no problems. But my 15 months old DD has been off her bottle for about 3weeks now but she is having problems drinking from the hard sippy cups so we use the soft ones.
Did I break her from the bottle to early??

deneejude

Asked by deneejude at 10:13 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son broke himself from the bottle at about 10 months. We then used the Nuby sippy cups (the soft sprout) and gradually transitioned him to the harder sprouts.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• On her first birthday...Took them all first thing in the morning and threw them away... She never asked for it again
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 10:16 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• 9 months
    Anonymous

• i used the nuby ones they are way softer than the regular sippy cups,i also tried princess cups that came with straws..
    HelloKitty02

Answer by HelloKitty02 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• 10 months
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• 11 months
    ilovexzavier

Answer by ilovexzavier at 1:43 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• my dd is 14 months.. and has used sippys for a while.. but still gets a bottle once in a while (mostly when we are at grandmas and my nephew is over too(who is the same age) and the sippys are in the dishwasher. )
    It's the sippys with the straws she has a hard time with.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:49 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• we started using sippy's before the bottle was taken away at 1 year so when the bottles were all gone there wasnt a problem. I did go through lots of types of them, but that was to find ones that didnt spill everywhere. I'm sure if there were bottles around he would still want one though.
    aidengrant07

Answer by aidengrant07 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 19, 2009

• We slowly started taking the bottle away at 11 months by replacing it with a nuby sippy. On her 1st birthday I just never gave a bottle to her again. She never cried or had any problems. Grant it if there is a baby around and he/she drops a bottle it all fair game.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 12:33 AM on Mar. 20, 2009