hole in the heart

My husband, father in law and husbands uncle have all had open heart surgeries young (uncle died) because of this hole in the heart thing they have. Dr said they cant test untill he is 6 months old. Hes just about 6 mo and were going to get him tested. My question is has anyone gone through this? advice?

and is sleeping ALOT a symptom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son has a hole in his heart. They didn't detect it until he was 1 but not because they couldn't test for it. Has his doctor said anything about a murmur? A murmur usually means there's a hole in the heart. A murmur is the sound the blood makes when going through the hole.

One of the only symptoms my son had was sweating a lot. When he would eat he would sweat. And I don't just mean a little bit from being up against me... I mean there was quite a bit of sweat. Enough where after I put him down I would have to wipe his head, face and my arm. Babies with holes in their hearts have to work harder to do what other babies do easily which can then cause the sweating.

If your son's doctor won't do any testing I would switch doctors. They should have tested him long ago with the family history! If the doctor finds anything make sure to go see a pediatric cardiologist.

If you have any questions just send me a message! GL!
    LukesMommy912

Answer by LukesMommy912 at 12:31 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• It's weird that they can't test for it until 6 months. My pedicatrician detected a heart murmur in my daughter during her in hospital exam before she came home. He referred us to a pediatric cardiologist who saw her at 4 days old. He examined her, did an ultrasound of her heart and found a small hole between the lower chambers of her heart. As I said, that was at 4 days old. We monitored it and by the time she was 2, he determined that it would not be a problem and she has been discharged from his care.

I don't know what your husband and his relatives had. Some things do run in families. Sleeping a lot could be a symptom or it could be normal baby behavior, there's really no way to tell. If you are not comfortable with the doctor's exam after you go, seek a second opinion. Especially if you can find a pediatric cardiologist. And if you do have to have surgery, be sure to find one then.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 18, 2009