What is this noise my dog is making?

I thought he was dying.. He scared me so bad. It was like a snorting noise.. He did it for about 5 minutes off and on....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Pets

• my chihuahua makes a weird sound that we call a honking sounds, it kinda sounds like a dog cough, but with a weird throat kinda sound, it's very creepy and kinda hard to explain but she also does a head movement with it where she sticks her head and neck out further than normal and you almost think she's choking. We took her to the vet for it, and it's call a collapsing trachea. It's because i guess they have ilttle ring type muscles around the trachea and when they get excited or nervous or over stimulated or whatever theses rings tighten and somewhat choke them for a short period of time, and the vet also said it will occur more if the dog is overweight. But most instances it's just an annoying sound that doesn't really have to many other issues with it..
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 11:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• What kind of dog do you have? Dogs with very short noses (Pug, Shih Tzu for example) tend to make a noise that sounds like a snort. We had pugs that would do this. It sounds horrid and they can carry on making this noise for a couple minutes. It always sounded like our pugs were dying, it's kind of a hacking/snorting sound.

I hope this helps you out. :)

bookay

Answer by bookay at 10:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• allergies!
    bearandtreemom

Answer by bearandtreemom at 11:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• He's a Cocker Spaniel.
    Anonymous

• without more details of the sound, maybe he was having a reserve sneeze.Those sound very weird.

Sherri~ owner of The Animal Den

SherriX2

Answer by SherriX2 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 18, 2009