What is the best way to reduce the smell of vomit from the carpet?

My dd got sick on the way to the bathroom, and instead puked all over the carpet. Now it smells...BAD...I used some all purpose cleaner and soap to clean up the mess..but it still smells horrible...DH is walking around gagging..any ideas on how to best fight the smell? We have the windows open, hopefully airing out the house, and I'm afraid to leave anything on the carpet over night..I have a cat and she's not the brightest..I don't want her eating anything and adding insult to injury..any suggestions?

barefootbchbum

Asked by barefootbchbum at 10:57 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Vinegar and Water solution! Pretty much the cure to everything, but I know from experience it will help this.
    I poured it on the spot and then soaked it up with a towel.
    bearandtreemom

Answer by bearandtreemom at 10:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Use very hot water and baking soda , this will do it!
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 10:59 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• Both of those are great suggestions. Febreeze may also help.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• I agree with the baking soda and hot water. I would also rent a carpet cleaner;)
    Anonymous

• I would try Febreeze----they have different ones for more specific things like antibacterial and pet stains....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:47 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Baking soda would work well... I used it, and just dumped it on the carpet, and left it there for like an hour and then vacuumed it up

Also- if you leave a small bowl of vinegar out near a stink, it somehow absorbs the odor. I had a mouse die in my bedroom, and you want to talk about STINK?? After I let the Baking Soda sit on the carpet overnight, and it still smelled, my friend told me about the Vinegar trick... I set out a small bowl of it (like that little teeny Ziplock or Glad plastic bowl) in the corner, and a few hours later the stank was GONE
    Zanny

Answer by Zanny at 9:13 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Find your local EcoQuest Dealer and ask for a free 3 day trial of their air purifier- it totally destroys and dismantles bad odors and destroys bacteria and viruses. Here's the number to get a free trial. You don't even have to buy the thing! I know, because I am a dealer but am taking a break to be a SAHM. 1-800-486-.4994. You can order under my delaer number if you like and they will send it to you. My dealer number is 900207. It WILL work. They have used it to clear an apartment that had a dead body in it for 2 months and it worked...don't believe all the lies you hear about the company, either, because then we wouldn't be allowed to sell the products. We are international as well. www.ecoquestintl.com
    environmentalpa

Answer by environmentalpa at 9:33 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Vinager is the only way!!!! Everthing it will come back from...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 9:33 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• Not to mention, the air purifier is wonderful on allergies!
    environmentalpa

Answer by environmentalpa at 9:41 AM on Mar. 19, 2009