When is the right time/age to start talking to kids about molestation?

My daughter is 3 and is never with a sitter... She Is with grandma for 2 hours one day and then stays the night once a week at my aunts house and then they go to church... I just want to talk to her about her private part and only mommy and daddy can clean you there.. I know that she poops and pees but that only takes a quick wipe.. But when and how is the best way to do this? No bashing... Its a serious question....

BallardMomma

Asked by BallardMomma at 11:06 PM on Mar. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We started the Stranger Danger talk around 3. We found an website to help with this. They had a picture, front and back, of a child and advised you point to areas that are ok to show to people, (legs and arms, face, hands....etc.) and places that are not ok to show people because they are private. Then we explained that the private places can only be touched my the child, Mommy, Daddy, and the doctor if Mommy or Daddy are there.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:28 AM on Mar. 19, 2009

• I don't think anything more needs to be said personally...besides saying if someone asks you to then tell me
    Anonymous

• tell her that now. she may not understand completely but she will get the idea. i think the molestation talk should be saved until they are school aged and getting more contact with older people other than yourself.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:08 PM on Mar. 18, 2009

• as soon as my neice and nephew started babbling words, we'd talk to her about "only mommy and daddy wash down there" and when she got around 3 or 4 it was specifics about only her touching it and no one except mommy and daddy to help her wash down there. and she tells me that, (aunt) if I'm bathing her
    Anonymous

• We started really young- so my kids both know privates & who should/shouldent be touching/seeing down there. They know to tell us if something bad happens also. You dont need to go into graphic details just let them know its a private thing and people shouldent be talking about down there, touching or seeing it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Mar. 19, 2009